Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WaterDivaHolly  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:57:31 PM(UTC)
WaterDivaHolly

Groups: Registered

Dishwasher ran but wasn't cleaning the dishes. Final diagnosis by a professional is to replace the water pump. The water pressure will be increased significantly with a new pump.

Am I right to be concerned if the greater water pressure could compromise the older seals? To be safe, should the 10 yr old door seals be replaced before the new pump is installed? If yes, shouldn't my professional know this?

Thank you in advance for sharing your opinions!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

HumboldtRepairMan  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:26:00 PM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

First off there isn't a water pump in a dishwasher it's a sump pump water pumps are in cars. The door gaskets don't really do too much and every person that knows nothing about appliances thinks it's a super important feature, i get customers insisting on it so i gladly charge them extra for installation and do it and show them they paid for something that's doesn't do much lol. Only time a door gasket is really important is when you have a spray arm broken or stuck spraying water directly at the door then it may cause a leak but it isn't a common occurance. Most leaks i've seen on most dishwashers is from people not wanting to pay for it to be installed by a professional and do it themselves and don't level the unit from right to left and front to back. They usually install it to where it leans forward and that's what causes leaks alot of the time. Door gaskets i've seen good for 20-30 years. When changing door gaskets alot of times the aftermarket parts they create from china are usually way too big and causing door lock issues from the new gaskets being too thick and now not letting you close the door all the way. If you want to replace anything i'd change the door wipe/gasket at the base of the door that would be more affected if anything from better pressure but your unit may not carry it most models do. Now your sump pump gasket is mandatory if your tech tries to install a new sump without a new sump gasket you got a tech that doesn't know what he's doing.
WaterDivaHolly  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2013 4:23:18 AM(UTC)
WaterDivaHolly

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. And you're spot-on correct, I am clueless about appliances (and cars). Hence, I hire professionals to apply their skills and with that comes a certain expectation for duty of care. I expect them to fix the issue and it stay fixed and operational for a time after they leave.

To date, the dishwasher has not been turned back on since my husband turned it off upon discovering the door leak except when the tech gave me instructions to hit a button combination to drain it. I can't tell yet if he resolved the issue as the unit hasn't ran a full program since we called for repair.

The tech came back out and disconnected the water supply copper pipe implying it best to replace the entire unit.

The tech does state the door was compromised because of the work he did to replace the part. But feels he has no responsibility.
HumboldtRepairMan  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2013 5:08:06 PM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

He was right about replacing the copper line with a braided hose line we won't touch a machine that hasn't been upgraded because copper lines leak when you move them and work on the machines then the client wants a new floor or cabinets so if the machine has to move we won't touch it till it's upgraded. Well if he did lean on the door or it was bent that's between you and your repairman and yes a bent door can cause leaks. Sounds like possibly you're not dealing with a professional company they should of made you aware of that during the diagnosis but everyone's not perfect at spotting all your problems in machines some techs just get focused on the general complaint and sometimes overlook stuff. Oh and another aspect too for clean dishes with these newer units don't use these brands in your dishwashers or front loading washing machines (Kirkland from Costco, Sun, Purex, Arm and Hammer). Good luck.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply