Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hank22  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 6:58:56 AM(UTC)
Hank22

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag gas dryer I have been working on. Initially the ignitor did not heat. I replaced the thermistor and the ignitor which corrected the problem. Two weeks later the dryer initially ignites then the flame stops and does not ignite again. Power cycling will permit the dryer to ignite once again but the problem repeats. My thought is that it is hi-temp thermostat. So I removed the thermostat and placed it about 2 inches from where it is normally located. The flame ignited and continued to burn. I did not notice that the ignitor was cycling, but I had the dryer front panel off at the time of the test. I have this part on order. I am hoping this resolves the issue. Your thoughts. I have also ordered the coil kit, just in case.
I have the service manual and a few service bulletins. But my dryers ignition system is wire differently. The booster coil pin 5 has a brown wire connected to it. Tracking the circuit wiring now has me confused. Brown is the color code for the hot 115v. I am now thoroughly confused as to how this ignitor system is wired and how it is supposed to actually work. It appears as if there are 2 115volt paths to the circuit?

When preforming the diagnostic testing what temperatures should I see the dryer operating at? At which temperature should it cycle off? I know a lot of questions, but assistance is very much appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Hank22  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 7:12:55 AM(UTC)
Hank22

I forgot to mention I also replaced the radiant sensor.
Hank22  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:21:53 PM(UTC)
Hank22

After installing the new Hi-temp thermostat the dryer is now working properly. Remember the original problem was that the ignitor would not lite. I replaced the thermister and the ignitor to resolve this issue. Then a couple weeks later the heat stopped cycling, it would burn once and would not come on again. I then replaced the radiant sensor and the problem persisted. I tested the unit by relocating the Hi-temp Thermostat and it contnuted to burn. So that proved to me that the problem was indeed the Hi-temp Thermostat. But I had already ordered a set of coils. With exception of the gas valve unit and the control board all parts that control the ignition system are new. Hopefully this will resolve the issue for a long, long time.

I did purchase the service manual for this dryer and was able to obtain a few of the service bulletins, but neither have the correct electrical schematic for my dryer. In additon to the change in the coil wiring the connector on the main board is also wired diffently than listed on the schematic. Connector CN6 has a six pin shell but the thermistor connect to pine 1 and 5, not 2 and 6. The moisture sensor connects to pins 2 and 3 vice pins 4 and 5. Hope this information is helpful to others.

I am still looking to obtain the correct electrical schematic for this dryer.

Regards,
Hank22
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply