Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TravisR  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 9:51:34 PM(UTC)
TravisR

Groups: Registered

Hey all, hopefully someone can help me! Search didn't return anything for 2487, *2487*, WM2487, etc.

Having a little trouble figuring out how to separate the inner and outer tubs on this washing machine (LG WM2487) so I can replace the bearings and seal.

It looks like the shaft is pressed through the bearings, and before I start wood block & hammering on the back of the shaft, I figured I'd better ask around as to how to properly separate the two pieces.

Read somewhere that the whole rear tub must be replaced when doing the bearings, but thinking that might be BS.

It's dismantled in our single car garage and of course time is of the essence. We are required to park in the garage by our HOA so ANY help getting this thing back in working order with my new set of bearings would be very appreciated.

Thank you.
Travis
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

HumboldtRepairMan  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 10:02:00 PM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

It's best you replace both front and rear tub and gasket in between as well as the drum because you're not sure if there's damage as a result of your bad drum or bearing/seal and what it may have affected....Since your obviously not an appliance tech your not sure the signs and symptoms of what to look for.....i've seen hairline cracks in tub pieces that weren't there to the naked eye that leaked on spin mode after someone has taken 3-4 hours trying to do what your doing by just replacing minimal parts...The rear tubs in most cases already have the bearing pressed in them. Good luck....also rule of thumb too because most of these metal cheap parts coming from india, china and mexico are made with cheap metal that bends and tweeks and isn't all that great to begin with we generally replace the springs, shocks, pully, pully nut and belt as well doing a tub job because you don't know if any of those parts are affected by the original problem with the unit. Good luck
TravisR  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2013 2:52:41 PM(UTC)
TravisR

Managed to get it all apart (shaft was lightly rusted to the inner bearing and needed some extra coaxing to break loose). Found the surface where the seal meets the shaft to have some pitting, which was a concern. Looks as if the spider/shaft and inner tub are not meant to be separated on this model, so I cleaned/polished the shaft carefully to remove the rust at the bearing surface, and pitting smoothed/polished so it doesn't kill the seal too soon. Not an optimal situation, for sure. We're just not in the position to order a tub and spider right now.

Everything is reassembled and it's testing good so far.

One detail I didn't find anywhere were the bolt torque specs. Two critical areas I would like to have are for the rotor and stator bolts. Over tightening the big, blue loctited rotor bolt seems to put too much side loading on the bearings. Used extra caution there to not over tighten and cause undue stress on the bearings.

HumboltRepairMan, I will take your advice into consideration and keep a very close eye on the washer for any abnormalities.

All in all I would say this wasn't a project I would look forward to doing again any time soon. (cmon seal, hold up for a couple years)
Hats off to the repair people who do this sort of thing every day.
HumboldtRepairMan  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2013 4:37:02 PM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

Ah your unit had the rotor stator so no need for a pully.........those aren't too bad i was referring to the belt driven bottom motor fed type.
badgerfan  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2016 7:19:46 AM(UTC)
badgerfan

I am attempting to replace bearings on my LG wm3677hw washer/dryer combo. I have disassembled nearly the entire machine but am unable to separate the inner tub to access the bearings. I have sprayed WD40 several times and let is sit overnight. No success.

Things I have tried:
- using a hammer and piece of wood (like the very helpful video shows)
- using rubber mallet
- spraying wd40

Are there other tricks?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
mbo108  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 5:31:12 PM(UTC)
mbo108

Originally Posted by: badgerfan Go to Quoted Post
I am attempting to replace bearings on my LG wm3677hw washer/dryer combo. I have disassembled nearly the entire machine but am unable to separate the inner tub to access the bearings. I have sprayed WD40 several times and let is sit overnight. No success.

Things I have tried:
- using a hammer and piece of wood (like the very helpful video shows)
- using rubber mallet
- spraying wd40

I'm having the same issue - everything else has gone so well, please help!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply