Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve Dams  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 8:50:11 AM(UTC)
Steve Dams

Groups: Registered

Hello!
We have been having continued trouble with our Samsung RB215LABP freezing food in the refrigerator compartment. (This model has freezer on the bottom). I have twice now, replaced the main temp sensor DA32-10105S.

I did this back in February 2013 when the freezing problem began. Then I did it again in May 2013, and now (July 2013), this has started happening again. The refrigerator compartment drops in temperature until everything is frozen. I have unplugged the unit and allowed it to come up to room temp for 24 hours. I plugged it back in and at the moment (48 hrs later) it is working fine again. This is the same pattern that exhibited itself previously.

Is there another part, or a test of some kind, that I should consider? Sure appreciate your help (and this site!).

Thank you!

Steve
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Craig vill  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2015 4:32:49 AM(UTC)
Craig vill

Hi steve. I am having the same exact issue. did you find a resolution?

I was going to change the thermistor, but it looks like that didn't work for you... my next move would be to replace the circuit/motherboard....
Steve Dams  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2015 7:43:53 AM(UTC)
Steve Dams

Hi Craig,

I'm afraid I didn't ever find a repair resolution. Changing the motherboard was going to be my next move - but we chose to cut our losses as the loss of food, cost of parts, pain and inconvenience of continual tinkering was beginning to add up. We ended up replacing it with a no-frills, entry-level Maytag. No buttons, no toots and whistles, just keeps the food cold at the proper temperature. I initially went with the temp sensor replacement, quite frankly because it was cheaper. My thought was if I try the cheapest thing first and it works, fantastic. We were able to limp along for a few more months that way.

With the advantage of hindsight, I probably should have tried the motherboard. At some point you have to perform your own "internal calculus" in order to determine how much time and money you are willing to pour into fixing something, because you start eventually approach the cost of replacement. I hate that, especially because we loved that Samsung fridge. We ended up donating the unit to a local outfit that does appliance repair training...

If you end up replacing the motherboard and it works, I'd love to hear back. Best of luck to you!
Regards,
Steve
Craig vill  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 5:55:14 AM(UTC)
Craig vill

@Steve Dams

Big thanks Steve, your post saved me changing the Thermisotor, about $30 and a week of ordering, trial and error, and frozen food.

I actually found a similar forum where someone had our issued and changing the Circuit board worked for them... so low and behold, I ordered a Circuit board/motherboard for about $90, replaced it (find a video on Youtube for general instructions) and the fridge is working as expected.:)

@Suebik

When looking at a malfunctioning appliance that you spent about $400 to purchase, contemplating a $100 service call and a subsequent $2-300 repair, doesn't make a whole lot of sense... I'm a handy person, I did some research, and I took a $90 chance on fixing this... If it didn't work, then it would have been trashed and I would have put the $2-300 I saved towards a new $400 fridge.... ESPECIALLY after reading the litany of Samsung refrigerator owners who have seen far worse issues...
Mogal  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2015 9:38:12 AM(UTC)
Mogal

Hi Craig,
Any chance you'd be will to share the other forum info?
I'm trying to track down a simular problem.

Fridge is freezing food, the thermisters test good, the display panel shows correct set temps, but not actual temps. Compressor wont stop running.

I'm thinking of changing the control board as well.

Thanks,
Chris
briman1980  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2016 10:44:18 AM(UTC)
briman1980

My samsung is doing the same exact thing. It's under warranty. Tech said the PCB board needs replaced. Before the tech determined that, they asked if I had unplugged the fridge. I told them I did and defrosted it, hoping that if it was a mainboard problem that unplugging it may reset the board, but it did not. The tech said that sometimes if you do that soon enough after the problem starts it will work. If you wait too long to try and reset it by unplugging it that the main board will not reset and need replacing. I saw on another post where it was recommended to use a surge protector on fridges with these type of circuit boards which I thought was a great idea. A lot of appliances now days basically have similar circuits to computers so it makes sense.
Mogal  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2016 10:53:21 AM(UTC)
Mogal

First time I had to replace both thermisters (fridge and freezer)
That got it working again for almost a year.

Second time I had to replace the motherboard.
Its been running fine since, but I'm still holding my breath.

I LOVE the Samsung fridge layout, but the reliability seems very lacking.
Fridge is 8 years old now, and broke down twice.
Costing my hundreds in food waste, and a couple more in replacements parts.
Thanks to this website and shop, it saved me more than calling a repair guy at $100 just to show up at my door.

here's to hoping it hangs on... next time it breaks down... its out the door.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply