Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hotfordguy  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 6:56:46 PM(UTC)
hotfordguy

Groups: Registered

My GE refrigerator has been doing this for a while now.. It's only 6 years old. First thing we notice is the digital temps start climbing in main frig. Then in freezer, Ice cubes start melting and dripping down eventually making a large stalagmite when freezer starts working again.. right now as I write this, temp gauge on left in frig reads 51 degrees and the one on right reads 47. chances are by the morning, temps will be reading closer to 35 37 degrees and all will work normal for a few days. Just seems like it's in a heavy defrost cycle and it goes on for almost a full day each time. It did not used to do that when brand new. The freezer never builds up frost in it when it's working correctly. Then for no reason, these super long defrost cycles. I don't think this is normal. Any ideas out there?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:22:38 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Most probably a bad evaporator thermistor, a long, white item clipped to the top of the evaporator WR55X10025
hotfordguy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:14:36 AM(UTC)
hotfordguy

thanks much for that info. I just got up this morning and refrigerator is still shows freezer at 52 degrees and refrigerator at 47. so this has now been close to a 24 hour ordeal. I had to turn off ice cube maker yesterday as it was just melting the cubes away and not freezing new cubes before dumping them. am very disappointed this refrigerator is only about 6 years old and was close to $3k.
hotfordguy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:52:47 AM(UTC)
hotfordguy

I printed up a parts list for my refrigerator, mod # PSC25NSTASS and it has the part listed as item #240 on the schematic as "thermostat def" and it's part number WR50X10069. Does this sound like the same item that you are referring to as the Thermistor? Shows it clipped to the top of the evaporator in the freezer. thanks! Hotfordguy
richappy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:59:02 AM(UTC)
richappy

NO, that's the wrong one, it's small, round and narrow. Should measure 16.8 K ohm in ice water. Look at the picture for the thermistor.
Also, I would check the back of the motherboard WR49X10152 for a bad solder joint at the big power relay
hotfordguy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:07:24 AM(UTC)
hotfordguy

I found a blog that described the problem I am having to a T. both guys on it put new motherboards on there and said there problems were solved. I am leaning that direction. What do you think? I will check the motherboard today but found one brand new on ******** part number WR49X10152. brand new in the box for $85. a smoking deal. retail on these is $257 on the GE parts site. I did pull up the parts list for my refrigerator and it describes the thermistor on the evaporator as part number "thermostat def" item#240 on their schematic and assigned it part number WR60X10069. My refrigerator is PSC25NSTASS. You sure I have that wrong??
richappy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:11:38 PM(UTC)
richappy

I am leaning at a bad board also, let us know what you find.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply