Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ghauptman  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 7:37:18 PM(UTC)
ghauptman

Groups: Registered

One year ago (May'2012) I replaced the Ice Maker and the Dual water Inlet valve.
Now about 3 weeks ago the Ice Maker stopped making ice, and now the Water Dispenser stopped dispensing water.

I checked both solenoids, they have continuity. I've tested the solenoids for voltage with the Water dispenser is triggered. No voltage. No humming.

I checked the Optics..... when Freezer door is opened, 2 blinks and a pause, when flapper is closed light is on steady.

Please help with next steps to diagnose this problem.

Thanks,
Greg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 9:03:25 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ghauptman Go to Quoted Post
One year ago (May'2012) I replaced the Ice Maker and the Dual water Inlet valve.
Now about 3 weeks ago the Ice Maker stopped making ice, and now the Water Dispenser stopped dispensing water.

I checked both solenoids, they have continuity. I've tested the solenoids for voltage with the Water dispenser is triggered. No voltage. No humming.

I checked the Optics..... when Freezer door is opened, 2 blinks and a pause, when flapper is closed light is on steady.

Please help with next steps to diagnose this problem.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg, The I/R optic system is the least likely issue at this point. You do want to check the wiring harness at the bottom hinge of the freezer door, make sure there aren't any damaged wires or loose connections in the harness.

When you press the paddles in the dispenser, listen closely, can you hear the actuator switches " click" if so, the switches are probably OK. Since you have no voltage to either valve solenoid, you may want to recheck the voltage circuit to chassis ground, or use a power test cord and apply power to each solenoid to see if they activate.

The water dispenser and the ice maker are two different circuits and the only "common" component between the two is the control board, usually located inside the compressor compartment, on the left side of the cabinet.
ghauptman  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 4:18:48 PM(UTC)
ghauptman

Thanks for the reply Joe...

I manually applied 120V to each solenoid (with an old lamp cord). The Water Dispenser gets water thru the door without triggering the paddle (wife had cup ready to catch the water).

When I applied 120V to the Ice Maker solenoid I first thought I'm not getting any water to the IM because I asked my wife to stick her fingers in the IM to detect any water. She says no water. So I fairly quickly stop that test.
So I disconnect the tubing at the IM solenoid and re-energize. Now I get water thru the IM solenoid. So, as I am writing this post I'm thinking I better go back to check the IM. There is ice in first two little water catch areas in the IM. So, I'm now thinking water did make it to the IM, my wife did not feel the water, and I didn't let the IM solenoid run long enough.

So bottom-line, both water solenoids are working fine.

I can not see a wiring harness at the bottom of the freezer door. The only thing I can see is the water tubing running up into the door.
Please help point me the wiring harness.

One other thing. As I removed the front grill the coils to the right side are completely clogged with lint. Of course I vacuumed off the coils. Could this have anything to do with my problem (no water, no ice).
ghauptman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:57:06 AM(UTC)
ghauptman

Thanks for the reply Joe...

I manually applied 120V to each solenoid (with an old lamp cord). The Water Dispenser gets water thru the door without triggering the paddle (wife had cup ready to catch the water).

When I applied 120V to the Ice Maker solenoid I first thought I'm not getting any water to the IM because I asked my wife to stick her fingers in the IM to detect any water. She says no water. So I fairly quickly stop that test.
So I disconnect the tubing at the IM solenoid and re-energize. Now I get water thru the IM solenoid. So, as I am writing this post I'm thinking I better go back to check the IM. There is ice in first two little water catch areas in the IM. So, I'm now thinking water did make it to the IM, my wife did not feel the water, and I didn't let the IM solenoid run long enough.

So bottom-line, both water solenoids are working fine.

I can not see a wiring harness at the bottom of the freezer door. The only thing I can see is the water tubing running up into the door.
Please help point me the wiring harness.

One other thing. As I removed the front grill the coils to the right side are completely clogged with lint. Of course I vacuumed off the coils. Could this have anything to do with my problem (no water, no ice).

I failed to mention the paddles in the last post.
The Ice dispenser paddle works just fine. The auger in the Ice bucket turns when paddle is triggered. On Water dispenser paddle, I can not hear the "click" of the micro switch (but, then again, I'm hard of hearing...).
Still no Ice and no Water thru the door.
Joe / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:03:09 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

I failed to mention the paddles in the last post.
The Ice dispenser paddle works just fine. The auger in the Ice bucket turns when paddle is triggered. On Water dispenser paddle, I can not hear the "click" of the micro switch (but, then again, I'm hard of hearing...).
Still no Ice and no Water thru the door.

Cleaning the condenser coils will help to produce proper temperatures and make the refrigerator run more efficiently, but won't affect the dispenser. You need to check and clean that coil assembly at least once a year.
We're pretty sure, you'll find the wire harness at the bottom of the freezer door, it may be wrapped in a plastic mesh tube, but should run along the side of the water tube into the door, and will have a connector to plug into the cabinet wire harness a few inches into the base compartment of the refrigerator, along the left wall of the cabinet.
You'll need to get a multi meter or at least a test light, disconnect the wires from the water dispenser solenoid on the fill valve. Attach the meter leads to the wires for the solenoid, and press the water dispenser paddle, you should have 120 VAC, across the two wires, if not, you'll need to dismantle the dispenser and check the actuator switch. If you have the voltage, you'll need the water fill valve

Part number: AP5263471
ghauptman  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:50:55 AM(UTC)
ghauptman

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Cleaning the condenser coils will help to produce proper temperatures and make the refrigerator run more efficiently, but won't affect the dispenser. You need to check and clean that coil assembly at least once a year.
We're pretty sure, you'll find the wire harness at the bottom of the freezer door, it may be wrapped in a plastic mesh tube, but should run along the side of the water tube into the door, and will have a connector to plug into the cabinet wire harness a few inches into the base compartment of the refrigerator, along the left wall of the cabinet.
You'll need to get a multi meter or at least a test light, disconnect the wires from the water dispenser solenoid on the fill valve. Attach the meter leads to the wires for the solenoid, and press the water dispenser paddle, you should have 120 VAC, across the two wires, if not, you'll need to dismantle the dispenser and check the actuator switch. If you have the voltage, you'll need the water fill valve

Part number: AP5263471

I've included a couple of photos below of under the freezer door. No wiring harness or flexible plastic conduit in sight. Perhaps there is another place for the wiring harness for my model.

As I posted earlier, both water value solenoids are working fine when I apply 120V.

idler pulley engaged.jpg

How to replace pump & motor.pdf (1,122kb) downloaded 12 time(s).

Greg
ghauptman attached the following image(s):
IMAG1474.jpg
IMAG1475.jpg
Joe / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:57:07 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

I've included a couple of photos below of under the freezer door. No wiring harness or flexible plastic conduit in sight. Perhaps there is another place for the wiring harness for my model.

As I posted earlier, both water value solenoids are working fine when I apply 120V.

idler pulley engaged.jpg

How to replace pump & motor.pdf (1,122kb) downloaded 12 time(s).

Greg

Greg, Thanks for the correction and photos.

The wire harness will be under the freezer door top hinge cover

Part number: AP3130466
Part number: AP3130466

You'll need to remove the screw in the top of it and lift it off the door hinge.

What we're trying to determine at this point, is if you have a wiring issue(loose connection, frayed wire, or weak crimp on a wire) with your test to the fill valve, when you attach the meter leads and to the wires and press the paddle, if the voltage appears on the meter, we'd have to presume you have a wiring issue, and the wiring can't "carry the voltage load" and activate the solenoid. Or you do have a fault in the actuator switch or wiring in the dispenser. We'll be conducting a similar test when we get to start testing the ice maker ( it's a bit more involved). The likelihood of both systems failing is remote, but possible.
The attached wiring diagram and ice maker test information may be more helpful.
File Attachment(s):
Wiring%20Sheet%20-%202216443.pdf (1,490kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
ghauptman  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:42:13 PM(UTC)
ghauptman

Thanks Joe,

I have checked the wiring harness at the top of freezer hinge cover. All visually appears in perfect order.
I removed the Freezer door dispenser cover and found one of the little plastic arms and one of the plastic pegs that holds the water dispenser micro-switch in-place were cracked. I guess someone depressed the paddle really hard. So, the micro-switch was not being held in-place and was flopping around in there. When I manually activated the micro-switch I got water thru the door without delay.
Not sure if there is an effective way to repair the broken micro-switch bracket arm and peg. Or, do I need to replace the entire plastic back-panel piece in the door-front?

Bottom-line, seems water thru the door works.

What is your suggestion for further diagnosis of the Ice Maker?
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:51:39 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Thanks Joe,

I have checked the wiring harness at the top of freezer hinge cover. All visually appears in perfect order.
I removed the Freezer door dispenser cover and found one of the little plastic arms and one of the plastic pegs that holds the water dispenser micro-switch in-place were cracked. I guess someone depressed the paddle really hard. So, the micro-switch was not being held in-place and was flopping around in there. When I manually activated the micro-switch I got water thru the door without delay.
Not sure if there is an effective way to repair the broken micro-switch bracket arm and peg. Or, do I need to replace the entire plastic back-panel piece in the door-front?

Bottom-line, seems water thru the door works.

What is your suggestion for further diagnosis of the Ice Maker?

You may want to replace the bracket assembly

Part number: AP2988571
Part number: AP2988571

Or if you have the tools, you could trim off the switch tabs, drill a very small hole in the bracket where the tabs were located and use a couple of small screws(available at the local hardware store) and re mount the switches using that method.
Once you have the dispenser issue solved, you'll want to tape the freezer door light switch closed, Tape the emitter flapper down, and then "jump" "T" to "H" openings in the front control module with a length of 14 gauge, insulated wire with the insulation removed from both ends of the wire. When the rake arm reaches the 1 or 2 o'clock position, the water valve should activate and dispense 4 to 4.5 ounces of water into the ice maker mold, in approximately 7 to 10 seconds, if all is working proper.
ghauptman  
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2013 2:43:20 PM(UTC)
ghauptman

Joe,
For me to get access to Jumper T to H, I had to remove the IM because the contol module of the IM is very tight up against the left wall of the Freezer. While removing the IM I realize the Filler Tube is rock hard..... Yep, frozen water in the Filler Tube. I thaw with a Hair Dryer, then re-install the IM. Within a few minutes, the IM request water and the water is delivered. A few minutes later, Ice ejected into the Ice Bucket.
The IM has now gone through several cycles, producing normal size ice.

My guess is the water inlet valve not shutting off completely is the culprit for the frozen filler tube. I will observe over the next couple of days and report back findings.

Are there any other areas I should check that would cause the frozen filler tube?

Thanks,
Greg
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply