Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kabuki  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 6:24:04 AM(UTC)
Kabuki

Groups: Registered

The icemaker on my 2004 Whirlpool side-by-side has died. The water dispenses and the ice freezes, but it does not dump the ice. I understand that the motor has died. I decided to replace the entire icemaker unit due to its age, but I am having problems reaching the power plug which is hidden under an oval rubber gasket on the side wall of the freezer. I have tried everything to release the gasket in order to get to the plug and I can't do it! I do not want to buy a replacement icemaker unless I know I can get to the power plug. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get to the icemaker plug in my freezer? Thank you!
Kabuki attached the following image(s):
Icemaker Plug.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 7:32:10 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kabuki Go to Quoted Post
The icemaker on my 2004 Whirlpool side-by-side has died. The water dispenses and the ice freezes, but it does not dump the ice. I understand that the motor has died. I decided to replace the entire icemaker unit due to its age, but I am having problems reaching the power plug which is hidden under an oval rubber gasket on the side wall of the freezer. I have tried everything to release the gasket in order to get to the plug and I can't do it! I do not want to buy a replacement icemaker unless I know I can get to the power plug. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get to the icemaker plug in my freezer? Thank you!

Kabuki, You're going too far. The oval grommet and wires, in the side wall of the freezer compartment do not need to be removed. Once you loosen the two top retainer screws, and remove the lower retainer screw, and dismount the ice maker, you can turn the assembly clockwise, so you can access the wire harness plug, in the front of the ice maker and carefully "unlock" the retainer clip and slide the harness connector out of the module. Reverse the procedure to install the replacement part. Just remember to unplug the power cord, or remove power to the refrigerator first.

Part number: AP2984633
Kabuki  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 8:12:27 AM(UTC)
Kabuki

Joe,

Thank you! OK, I have now disconnected the entire icemaker unit. The only visible plug was connected to the motor module on the unit. I now have a bundle of wires and the connector piece hanging from the side wall of my freezer. Can I leave it all disconnected until my new part arrives? Now for another question: Should I replace the entire unit or just the motor module? I was leaning toward replacing the entire unit since it's almost 10 years old, but curious what you're opinion is. Like I wrote, the water dispenses and the ice freezes, but it never dumps the ice. When I did a test of the T&H holes using an insulated wire, nothing happened, indicating that the motor is bad. Now--replace motor or replace entire unit? Thank you so much for your prompt response!
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 11:06:24 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe,

Thank you! OK, I have now disconnected the entire icemaker unit. The only visible plug was connected to the motor module on the unit. I now have a bundle of wires and the connector piece hanging from the side wall of my freezer. Can I leave it all disconnected until my new part arrives? Now for another question: Should I replace the entire unit or just the motor module? I was leaning toward replacing the entire unit since it's almost 10 years old, but curious what you're opinion is. Like I wrote, the water dispenses and the ice freezes, but it never dumps the ice. When I did a test of the T&H holes using an insulated wire, nothing happened, indicating that the motor is bad. Now--replace motor or replace entire unit? Thank you so much for your prompt response!

Kabuki, Yes, you can leave the harness as is, you may want to tape off the connector, or wrap it in a "baggie" to keep moisture and ice from develpping in the connector, and reduce the possibility of a short or safety hazard.

The most economical repair is to replace the "module"

Part number: AP4359694
Part number: AP4359694

It can be "tricky" but very do able. The other option is the ice maker complete

But you'll have a few extra harnesses you won't need, but you should decide based on your experience and confidence.
Kabuki  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 4:42:19 PM(UTC)
Kabuki

Thank you, Joe!

Per your instructions, I have bagged up the end of my plug and placed my order for a complete replacement icemaker unit. Inspecting the ice tray, the finish started to corrode, so I figured I might as well go for an entirely new unit. Thank you for your help!
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 5:07:35 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Thank you, Joe!

Per your instructions, I have bagged up the end of my plug and placed my order for a complete replacement icemaker unit. Inspecting the ice tray, the finish started to corrode, so I figured I might as well go for an entirely new unit. Thank you for your help!

Kabuki, Great !! You should be up and running and making ice in a few days. Let us know how things went. Remeber, to "dump" the first few batches of ice cubes, and wash out the ice bin, that's standard operation when servicing the system.
Kabuki  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 1:27:51 PM(UTC)
Kabuki

Joe,

Just a note to thank you for your help. The icemaker arrived within a couple of days of ordering it from appliancepartspros.com. I installed it in less than 5 minutes. So easy to DIY. My ice bin is now full of freshly made ice. Thank you again!
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 1:45:19 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe,

Just a note to thank you for your help. The icemaker arrived within a couple of days of ordering it from appliancepartspros.com. I installed it in less than 5 minutes. So easy to DIY. My ice bin is now full of freshly made ice. Thank you again!

Kabuki,

You're Very Welcome !!

Thanks for the update, we appreciate it.
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 1:47:11 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe,

Kabuki,
You're Very Welcome !!!
Thanks for the update, we appreciate it.
Silverlock  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2016 6:47:31 PM(UTC)
Silverlock

I have a similar question. My Whirlpool side-by-side has a rubber oval covering the refrigerator end of the ice maker wiring harness that I haven't been able to remove.

The original ice maker stopped working and got hot enough that I could smell it with the refrigerator closed. I replaced the entire unit (except for the wiring harness) but the new one doesn't seem to be working. I tried jumpering V-L to activate the water valve and nothing happened. I also tried jumpering T-H to start a cycle and nothing happened.

I'm suspecting the heat fuse on the original wiring harness, but I can't detach it from the refrigerator to test it or replace it with the one that came with the new ice maker.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mike
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply