Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
figureguy  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 11:59:49 AM(UTC)
figureguy

Groups: Registered

I am having trouble with my Maytag washer. Last night there was a loud squealing noise coming from it and something was making a burning smell. I noticed that it wasn't spinning also. I checked the belts which were intact but cracked quite a bit. I replaced the 2 today. It's still happening and I was able to see that the large pulley wasn't turning so it would spin. It would start to slightly, but then stop. When I shut the button off that pulley backtracked a little bit, but only an inch or so.

I have looked EVERYWHERE for a service manual online to no avail. When I researched into the burning smell I also read that the spring and glide kit could help the problem. I don't know if it would work or not, also I don't know how to disassemble it correctly without instructions. Any thoughts, ideas, links, aspirin would definitely help.

Thanks in advance.

Jason:(
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 1:48:01 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Sounds like you have a piece of clothing caught between the tubs. Reach between the inner tub and outer tub cover with your fingers as far as you can all around the perimeter of the gap between the tubs. If you don't find anything, remove the front panel and remove the holding screws to the top panel and raise the top panel back. Release the clips all around the tub cover and remove it so you can see down between the two tubs. You can use a stiff wire such as a wire coat hanger with a small hook in the end to reach all the way down to try and snag whatever may be in there.

Eric
figureguy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:27:25 PM(UTC)
figureguy

Thanks for getting back to me Eric. I will have to remove the top and the tub cover and check in there. I appreciate your quick response and I will update as we go.
figureguy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 7, 2013 7:41:54 PM(UTC)
figureguy

Thank you so much for the information, Eric. Lo and behold there was one of my daughter's socks caught underneath the tub cover. I would not think it possible for something to get under there. Once I got it out I noticed how much gunk there was under the cover and on the tub parts. I have cleaned everything like new, and considering the time I am going to put it together tomorrow.

I will let you know how it works out, fingers crossed.
figureguy  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 5:23:28 PM(UTC)
figureguy

Eric, it works! Everything went back together perfectly, and once it started up I was good to go. Now for the family to catch up on wash. Thanks again for your help!
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 5:54:58 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
You are quite welcome, glad it was an easy no cost fix.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply