Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
frd1952  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:19:53 PM(UTC)
frd1952

Groups: Registered

The regular mode works fine, goes up and down and shuts off. With Solid Pack rocker in the ON position, the ram goes down ONLY as long as I hold the foot pedal in the start/ON position. When I let go of the foot pedal the ram stops. When I then re-lift the foot pedal the ram goes up until I let the foot pedal go....IF I hold the footpedal up/ON as it goes up and it reaches the top I get a loud knocking noise until I let it go. IF I do NOT hold the foot pedal up while in Solid Pack mode, the motor/ram only travels (either up or down) while holding the foot pedal up/ON...as soon as I take my foot out from under the foot pedal the ram/motor stops.

Issue is with Solid Pack switch, or motor centrifugal switch, or up/down limit switch or what please ? Have meter if switches should be/can be tested, but not sure what to look for or where ? Do the same up & down limit switches control it in both Regular and in Solid Pack modes ? Does the motor centrif switch have 2 parts with one for Solid Pack mode only ? Just not sure which switch it most likely is.

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:49:32 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frd1952 Go to Quoted Post
The regular mode works fine, goes up and down and shuts off. With Solid Pack rocker in the ON position, the ram goes down ONLY as long as I hold the foot pedal in the start/ON position. When I let go of the foot pedal the ram stops. When I then re-lift the foot pedal the ram goes up until I let the foot pedal go....IF I hold the footpedal up/ON as it goes up and it reaches the top I get a loud knocking noise until I let it go. IF I do NOT hold the foot pedal up while in Solid Pack mode, the motor/ram only travels (either up or down) while holding the foot pedal up/ON...as soon as I take my foot out from under the foot pedal the ram/motor stops.

Issue is with Solid Pack switch, or motor centrifugal switch, or up/down limit switch or what please ? Have meter if switches should be/can be tested, but not sure what to look for or where ? Do the same up & down limit switches control it in both Regular and in Solid Pack modes ? Does the motor centrif switch have 2 parts with one for Solid Pack mode only ? Just not sure which switch it most likely is.

Thanks.

FRD, You'll need to circuit check the selector switch, then the motor centrifugal switch "SOLID PACK / EXTRA PACK (IF USED)
When the cycle switch
Part number: AP3872576
Part number: AP3872576

is moved to SOLID PACK (O to O/BK),
power to the motor run windings is routed through an extra switch
on the motor centrifugal switch.
Part number: AP3117747

This switch (O/BK to Y) closes when
the motor reaches normal run speed. When the motor stalls during
compaction, the centrifugal switch operates and power is removed
from the run windings. The ram is in the compacting or down position.
To return the ram to the normal rest position, turn the knob to start or move the SOLID PACK switch to NORMAL."
frd1952  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:49:42 AM(UTC)
frd1952

OK, maybe I am missing something ? My unit has 2 rocker switches on the front, with one being Solid Pack (with On and Off) and the other is Air Filter (with On & Off), plus the general unit On and Off dial switch. The Solid Pack switch does not look at all like the one I think you are calling the selector switch (#....576) above, or maybe I am just not thinking/seeing this properly Joe ? Mine looks like this>>>SwfrontSmall_zps19e6d8a8.jpg Photo by FRD-BWood | Photobucket, and this >>> SwcontactsSmall_zpsf44de0ff.jpg Photo by FRD-BWood | Photobucket ..... So all that said, can you tell me what I need to do (attach meter where and do what to look for readings such as what please...sorry, I need that level of input to test this rocker, and it sounds like to test the extra switch at the centrif. switch) in order to know what switch is shot ? Seems like since the unit does indeed start to run with the Solid switch in ON, that the rocker Solid switch is working (???), and maybe it is that extra switch on the Centrif Switch on the motor that is keeping it from actually compacting and stopping at the bottom, and then returning to the top with another flick of the foot on the floor lever switch ? But whatever I need to do to test one or both switches would be very helpful...thanks for your patience with me and the details on the testing procedure....How do I get to the motor and Centrif Switch ? FRD
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2013 7:10:03 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

OK, maybe I am missing something ? My unit has 2 rocker switches on the front, with one being Solid Pack (with On and Off) and the other is Air Filter (with On & Off), plus the general unit On and Off dial switch. The Solid Pack switch does not look at all like the one I think you are calling the selector switch (#....576) above, or maybe I am just not thinking/seeing this properly Joe ? Mine looks like this>>>SwfrontSmall_zps19e6d8a8.jpg Photo by FRD-BWood | Photobucket, and this >>> SwcontactsSmall_zpsf44de0ff.jpg Photo by FRD-BWood | Photobucket ..... So all that said, can you tell me what I need to do (attach meter where and do what to look for readings such as what please...sorry, I need that level of input to test this rocker, and it sounds like to test the extra switch at the centrif. switch) in order to know what switch is shot ? Seems like since the unit does indeed start to run with the Solid switch in ON, that the rocker Solid switch is working (???), and maybe it is that extra switch on the Centrif Switch on the motor that is keeping it from actually compacting and stopping at the bottom, and then returning to the top with another flick of the foot on the floor lever switch ? But whatever I need to do to test one or both switches would be very helpful...thanks for your patience with me and the details on the testing procedure....How do I get to the motor and Centrif Switch ? FRD

FRD, My fault, apparently I looked at the incorrect model number, thanks for the additional information. Once you get access to the back of the "cycle" switch, label and disconnect the orange and orange/black wires from the switch terminals. using your multi meter, with the solid pack switch "Off" you should read an"open" circuit(infinite resistance) between the "O" and "O/B" terminals and a "closed" circuit between the "O" and "Y" terminals. When you select the "solid pack" setting, the circuits should reverse "O" to "O/B should be a "closed" circuit and "O" to "Y" should be an "open" circuit. If the switch circuits are proper, the issue would be in the centrifugal switch on the motor, or the wiring(not likely). To access the motor siwtch, you'll need to remove the compactor from the counter, remove the rear motor cover and panel(s) and carefully change the motor switch assembly. Of course the compactor is in the "standby" mode, and power has been disconnected to the compactor, before you started. Here's a little information that may help.

photo9tib.jpg
File Attachment(s):
Tech%20Sheet%20-%209871923.pdf (203kb) downloaded 44 time(s).
frd1952  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 7, 2013 7:22:17 AM(UTC)
frd1952

Joe,
The selector rocker sw for Solid Pack tested out OK since Closed moved to/from Y & OB when Solid Pack selected or un-selected. So must be the "extra" sw on the centrif sw on the motor. Took it out and apart...pics (4) can be seen at Are These 2 Switches Stacked ? Photo by FRD-BWood | Photobucket ...p/n on the top of the sw is 777971. Is this actually 2 switches stacked on each other and inner-connected, and IF so do I need the top one or the bottom one (p/n=?). Seems like it comes apart for top/bottom but afraid to pop it wide open as looks like the contacts will be flopping around. In any case can you answer above questions and tell me what p/n I need and IF it is just part of this total sw will it easily come apart and go back together and have the same # & location of contact points ? If it is all one piece, is it still this p/n and will new one have same contact points, location for hook ups as my pics ? Thanks for hanging in there with me on this Joe....Frank
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 5:17:31 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe,
The selector rocker sw for Solid Pack tested out OK since Closed moved to/from Y & OB when Solid Pack selected or un-selected. So must be the "extra" sw on the centrif sw on the motor. Took it out and apart...pics (4) can be seen at Are These 2 Switches Stacked ? Photo by FRD-BWood | Photobucket ...p/n on the top of the sw is 777971. Is this actually 2 switches stacked on each other and inner-connected, and IF so do I need the top one or the bottom one (p/n=?). Seems like it comes apart for top/bottom but afraid to pop it wide open as looks like the contacts will be flopping around. In any case can you answer above questions and tell me what p/n I need and IF it is just part of this total sw will it easily come apart and go back together and have the same # & location of contact points ? If it is all one piece, is it still this p/n and will new one have same contact points, location for hook ups as my pics ? Thanks for hanging in there with me on this Joe....Frank

Frank,
Great job, Based on the post information, you'll need to replace the motor centrifugal switch

The new motor switch is a "single" one piece component, so be careful with it, don't let it "fall" apart on you. Label all the wires(your pictures will help) before you disconnect them, remove the two screws and lift the original switch off the motor. Reverse the procedure and test the machine.
frd1952  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 10:28:18 AM(UTC)
frd1952

Hey Joe,
I will order the part as soon as I finish this reply.

Seems like the connections are different on the new sw vs. the old one, and the new one has that blue jumper that I don't see on the current one.

Here is how my current one is wired ( http://i228.photobucket....ntswitch_zpse2526bed.jpg ) and if you go back one further picture at that site you will see a pretty clear pic of the new sw and the connection points.

Can you tell me where the following "top wires" will connect onto the new sw (they have the heavy white plastic shields/ends on them...one is green actually on the heavy black wire)... BR, BK, GY, BLU, and then same for the ""bottom wires" (regular slip on connector ends) BR, W, GY, BLU ? I assume Y & Y go where they were and still says Y on the new sw & same for R / R .

Thanks Joe.

Frank
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:32:41 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Hey Joe,
I will order the part as soon as I finish this reply.

Seems like the connections are different on the new sw vs. the old one, and the new one has that blue jumper that I don't see on the current one.

Here is how my current one is wired ( http://i228.photobucket....ntswitch_zpse2526bed.jpg ) and if you go back one further picture at that site you will see a pretty clear pic of the new sw and the connection points.

Can you tell me where the following "top wires" will connect onto the new sw (they have the heavy white plastic shields/ends on them...one is green actually on the heavy black wire)... BR, BK, GY, BLU, and then same for the ""bottom wires" (regular slip on connector ends) BR, W, GY, BLU ? I assume Y & Y go where they were and still says Y on the new sw & same for R / R .

Thanks Joe.

Frank

Frank, Nothing to worry about. Being a substitue and revised replacement part

The part has an instruction sheet (prt # 675397), that has all the wiring and installation information you'll need. You'll do fine.
frd1952  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2013 6:19:37 AM(UTC)
frd1952

OK Joe...thanks. Ordered the part and will install next week after it gets here. Will holler if any issues.

You have been a great customer service/tech person in this deal and I appreciate it.

Frank
Joe / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2013 8:02:25 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

OK Joe...thanks. Ordered the part and will install next week after it gets here. Will holler if any issues.

You have been a great customer service/tech person in this deal and I appreciate it.

Frank

Frank, Great Deal, will keep an eye out for any posts. But, we'd appreciate a positive report as well.

Thanks for the compliment, You're Welcome !!!

Thanks Again,
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply