Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
valv00  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2013 5:05:23 PM(UTC)
valv00

Groups: Registered

I have a Whirlpool GU2500XTPB3 undercounter dishwasher. Everything seems to run fine, except that it does not drain at the end of each cycle. It fills and washes but then goes silent at the time it is supposed to be draining. It is as though the computer is not telling the motor when to drain.

The first thing I tried was resetting the computer by pushing 'hot wash,' then pushing 'hot dry,' and repeating. All the lights went on, and the computer cycled through. But that did not affect the draining.

It appears from parts diagrams that the drain pump runs off the circulation motor. But is there a relay that might be bad?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 12:57:15 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Whirlpool GU2500XTPB3 Dishwasher - AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet

It appears from parts diagrams that the drain pump runs off the circulation motor.
Not sure what you mean by this.
The drain pump (item 17 in the Pump and Motor Parts section) is a separate part from the circulation pump though they share the same housing.

But is there a relay that might be bad?
There is no relay, the pump is controlled by a triac.

Check across the pump connections when it should be draining.

If you see 120 volts then the pump is toast.

If there is no voltage then odds are that the control board needs replacing.

Read more: http://forum.appliancepartspros...drain.html#ixzz2PIHG7Zjp
http://forum.appliancepartspros.com
File Attachment(s):
GU2500.pdf (162kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
valv00  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:41:58 AM(UTC)
valv00

I have voltage at the drain pump, but the pump seemed to not run smoothly. So I have replaced the drain pump. Unfortunately, though I hear it run, water does not go out. I put the utility vacuum on the drain hose and could hear air at the sink, where the hose comes into the sink drain, so the hose is not clogged. I cleaned everything inside, including checking the chopper blade. I am at a loss to figure out why water is not draining.

Could the check valve be the problem? It does not want to pull out easily, so I have not removed it. I do not want to tear it up for no reason.
valv00  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:13:27 AM(UTC)
valv00

Denman,

Thanks for the help. After it was still not draining with a new pump, I checked the last thing I could think of: the built-in drain hose. It did not seem to have any air flow in either direction when hooked to the shop vac. I took it out and tried running water through it from both directions. No flow. It turned out that the built-in check valve was stuck closed. The local parts place did not have that hose in stock. However, I was able to remove the check valve. I reinstalled the hose, and the dishwasher drains fine.
davecharles  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2013 6:11:51 PM(UTC)
davecharles

Not sure it's a good idea to eliminate the check valve- you might get some backflow from the sink, and flood the dishwasher. Also, when the d/w drains, water in the hose might backflow into the basin, making the heater coil inoperative, or (boiling the water during the dry cycle?)
valv00  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 9:06:33 AM(UTC)
valv00

Thanks. I will order the new hose and install it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply