Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Icertainlywas  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:56:57 PM(UTC)
Icertainlywas

Groups: Registered

The machine is front loader, old as the hills... and is part of a stackable set. Montgomery Ward Model number, somewhat worn so that the second to last number (the zero) is in question....Model #UAN8514-80A.
It is still working strong and smoothly. However there is a buzzer located on the left rear top part of the machine, directly below the control box that is for the selector switch. It's periodically sounding off. Appears to have two levels of volume. It has been sounding off when the pump activates. We did open the pump and check that it's free of obstructions, and also verified all belts working well, no excessive rubbing or slipping, though some doubt as to how much tension each should have. They are controlled by a solenoid that activates one set of belts for the washing, and a different belt for the high speed spinning. We'll get the buzzer just as the rinse water starts pumping out, when the pump kicks on. The drum continues spinning slowly and evenly, even though the buzzer is sounding, We have not overloaded the drum with excessive clothing, and the load doesn't appear to be out of balance. The machine has been carefully leveled. . When we hear the buzzer, we turn off the machine by pushing in on the control knob, pull it out, again after a moment of waiting, and the buzzer generally is silent, and the machine continues till it hits another time of mysteriously deciding it's time to sound off the buzzer. The drum, without clothing, spins very freely. The pump impeller turns freely. The water gushes out in a lovely stream.... what the heck is triggering this buzzer? It is not attached to any mechanical switch, but appears to be linked into terminals on each side of the control box there, one side clearly being the same terminal as the main power line in, the other on another terminal on the opposite side of the box.
Suspect it's an overload alarm, but there is no sign of anything that could cause an overload, and if it were noticing an overload of the motor, assuming the motor was on it's last legs, I'd expect it to kick in when the spin cycle started, which it does not. If the machine is terribly off balance or if you try to prematurely advance the selector to spin when there is still water in the tub, the incredibly Loud buzz will sound. The pump kicking in will just bring out the quieter version of the buzzer, a steady buzz. However, at this time, barring being stupid about the balance issues, the unit *Will* kick into the high speed spin cycle without triggering the buzzer, so if it's just a motor overload, it makes no sense to me why the low speed pumping cycle would trigger it. Anyone with background on these very old machines... is the buzzer likely to get oversensitive and sound off without cause? Is it serviceable? I suspect parts are few and far between for this sturdy old washer, however was miraculously able to get a brake solenoid for it just a couple months back.... so still hoping that this matter can be rectified... it appears to be working well... just that Buzzer sounding off!!
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer
Roberta in Northern Idaho.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.