Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
clarinetman95  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:37:16 PM(UTC)
clarinetman95

Groups: Registered

Hello all, first post here. I've been lurking finding answers to small problems before but now I'm really stumped on one and can't seem to find the problem. I have a GE GTS22IC top freezer bottom fridge and the freezer is going crazy and acting like a deep freeze. The fridge is straight up room temp. I have defrosted it by unplugging it and leaving it that way for a while and using a cool hairdryer to circulate air around it and it will work for 3-6 weeks and then quit again. This has happened 3 times now. Last time around I replaced the defrost limiter thermostat and the Heater Def A and it worked for longer, 6-8 weeks but today it has stopped again. It will stay cool in the fridge for a while and then finally one day it is like it gives it's last gasp and won't cool at all. It is iced up probably the worst I've ever seen behind the back panel.

Here is my question. How can I manually activate the defrost cycle to see if it is working?

My plan of action is to purchase new temperature sensors because I read that if your look like a bullet with a rounded end then they are from a bad batch, and mine look like that, all three of them. Otherwise I'm kinda stumped. I have thought about buying the defrost controller, but I don't know where it is on my refrigerator.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

clarinetman95  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 12:02:51 PM(UTC)
clarinetman95

Okay, here's the update...

I hadn't received any replies so I had to just proceed. I ordered the new temperature sensors and expect them any day, hoping that they will help fix the issue! Can anyone direct me to where the defrost controller is (GE WR9X565 Control Defrost - AppliancePartsPros.com) because it isn't in the location that the diagram seems to be telling me.

There is now a light yellow fluid that is gathering underneath the crisper drawers that seems to be dripping from the port above the deli meat drawer... Any guess as to what that is any what is causing it? The freezer coils have almost frozen up again and it's time for me to defrost them and install the new parts. Once again I've already replaced the thermostat and the defrost assembly...

Any help is appreciated!

Ben
Gene  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 6:03:32 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Ben,

What is the end of the model number?

Gene.
clarinetman95  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:05:17 PM(UTC)
clarinetman95

Gene,

Sorry for only including part of it!

GTS22ICMBRWW is the full model number. When I put that in it narrows down the part options...

Still curious as to what could be causing the icing issue. I found a thread that outlines a specific relay on the main control board and I ordered one of those relays... I checked the exact part number from the relay on my control board, and ordered that specific one. It was 1.63 so if you tell me don't go that route it won't be the end of the world...

Ben
clarinetman95  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:05:50 PM(UTC)
clarinetman95

Gene  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 12:54:44 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: clarinetman95 Go to Quoted Post
...Can anyone direct me to where the defrost controller is (GE WR9X565 Control Defrost - AppliancePartsPros.com) because it isn't in the location that the diagram seems to be telling me...

Hi Ben,

This part does not belong to the model number you posted. The defrost cycle in your refrigerator controls by the main control board on the back of the refrigerator.

If the defrost heater and the overtemperature thermostat are brand new, then the problem is a bad main control board. You also may want to replace the defrost thermistor (on top of the evaporator coils).

I do not believe in a long lasting effects of the control board repair. Especially because GE has redesigned it and the new board is different with what you have in the fridge now.

- The main control board Part number: WR55X10942
Part number: WR55X10942

- The thermistor Part number: WR55X10025
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply