Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jdv123  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 4:23:30 PM(UTC)
jdv123

Groups: Registered

Just purchased a new Roper Washer RTW4640YQ today. I removed the shipping base, set it up and its been running good. Smelt like a plastic or burn smell for a little bit so stopped using it. Looked again for anything I may have forgotten to remove from shipping. All is removed. I did note there is this plastic paper or shield which is mounted with plastic screws on the bottom of the washer. Seems to go around the motor and is attached the bottom of the tub. Am i suppose to remove this too? What purpose does it serve? I couldn't find anything online regards.

Thanks.
John
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 5:17:48 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Doesn't need to be removed. It's a splash shield to protect the motor from any splashing of water over the top of the tub. This is another Whirlpool VMW (Vertical Modular Washer) design. Hope you have better luck than most with this piece of junk.

Eric
jdv123  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 5:24:24 PM(UTC)
jdv123

Thanks Fairbank56. We have only washed 3 loads in it. All small / medium loads. We are concerned because we smell like a rubber or electrical smell. No smoke or anything. Just obvious as you walk by the laundry room a distinct smell. Is there a such thing as a new washer smell (like a car) ha ha. But seriously we are concerned. Not sure where to start looking. I have searched high and low to make sure i removed any and all plastic/cardboard and so on from the shipping material it was shipped in.

Is there a shipping screw in top load washers? Or Roper Top Load washers? I recall always having to remove a shipping screw or two from previous washers. Especially the front loads. Do the ropers have one? I didn't remove one just the cardboard stuff.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 5:47:18 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Typically with this washer design, there is a shipping base on the bottom that needs removed and a shipping tray inside the tub. That's it as far as I know. It's likely that it's just because it's new. This washer does have a lot of plastic parts including the basket drive and gears in the gearcase.

Eric
jdv123  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 5:49:12 PM(UTC)
jdv123

Thank you.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply