Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
morbe  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2013 1:18:05 PM(UTC)
morbe

Groups: Registered

Hello every, first time poster, first time repair for me on a high voltage appliance. I have a glass top stove and one of my burners stopped working. To tell you the truth my wife ran it to death. by boiling water on it all day for 4 days straight in order to humidify the house. I looked at some Youtube videos on how to repair such a failure and it seemed quite straight forward. So I followed the instructions and took a look at the element and surrounding areas. what I was a bit terrifying. The two middle cable that connected to the element looked like they literally exploded! possibly they got so hot that they did something they weren't suppose to. All other cables were connected. so I went down to the local appliance parts store. and they sold me a new element, heat resistant nut to splice wires together, heat resistant connectors, and 14 gauge heat resistance cable.
There was a wire harness that was not available for purchase and I was told that the manufacture didnt sell it. So I got home left about two inches of wire on the harness and spliced it with a heat resistant nut and gave enough cable to connect a heat resistant connector to and replaced all the heat resistant connectors since they were charred pretty badly. I made sure that all the connections were correct, it was kind of hard to get it wrong because it was only the two combined cables that were burned off that were in need of repair. so one by one I replaced cables from the bad element to the new element and I was finished. I turned the element on and everything is working.

My question is. Did I do this right? I mean Im not going to electrocute my self cooking dinner am I? A mean all I did was repair damaged wires and connectors, thats not major enough to make it dangerous is it?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.