Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vman1  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 10:39:21 AM(UTC)
vman1

Groups: Registered

My sister has a relatively new GE washing machine that overfills the tub on all load settings. What is the best first step to diagnose the problem?
Thank you, Victor
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 2:25:28 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Remove the front panel by inserting a putty knife into the groove at the top in line with the lid opening on each side to release the clips. Tilt the panel outward and lift off the cabinet. Check the air dome and hose on the left side of the tub for gunk that may be clogging it up. Check that the hose fitting is tight. If all is ok, open the control panel and check the hose fitting at the pressure switch on the left side. If ok, check continuity on the pressure switch. You will have to disconnect the hose at the air dome and blow into it to activate the switch. You should normally have continuity across the terminals where the yellow/black and brown wires attach and when you blow into the hose to activate the switch, you should have an open circuit across those terminals and continuity across yellow/black and violet wires.

Eric
vman1  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 4:28:30 PM(UTC)
vman1

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
Remove the front panel by inserting a putty knife into the groove at the top in line with the lid opening on each side to release the clips. Tilt the panel outward and lift off the cabinet. Check the air dome and hose on the left side of the tub for gunk that may be clogging it up. Check that the hose fitting is tight. If all is ok, open the control panel and check the hose fitting at the pressure switch on the left side. If ok, check continuity on the pressure switch. You will have to disconnect the hose at the air dome and blow into it to activate the switch. You should normally have continuity across the terminals where the yellow/black and brown wires attach and when you blow into the hose to activate the switch, you should have an open circuit across those terminals and continuity across yellow/black and violet wires.

Eric

Took off unit front...Immediately saw gunk at the hose end...Removed the stuff and reassembled...My sister ran a small load and all seemed fine...It filled and washed normally but she tells me it does not spin out on the small cycle only...Large & super spins fine it is just the small load that has the problem? Not sure but I will start searching the forum on this topic! Thank you for the help!
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 4:48:29 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

This is probably still related to the water level switch. There is probably some gunk inside the air dome which can be difficult to clean out. A turkey baster with hot soapy water can be used to flush it out after disconnecting the hose. Be careful doing this as you don't want to break the hose bib off of the air dome.

Eric
vman1  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2013 5:43:55 AM(UTC)
vman1

This is probably still related to the water level switch. There is probably some gunk inside the air dome which can be difficult to clean out. A turkey baster with hot soapy water can be used to flush it out after disconnecting the hose. Be careful doing this as you don't want to break the hose bib off of the air dome.

Eric

Thanks Eric...I thought I had the problem fixed...Could you explain how the pressure switch would affect the spin out on the small cycle? I have no problems replacing that switch but is it possible that the spin problem is related to a control timer?
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:26:20 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

The load size control directly controls the pressure switch. The timer would have no effect unless a different wash cycle was run when using the small load size setting. If your running the same wash cycle with different load size settings and it spins fine on large and super but not on small, then it must have something to do with the pressure switch.

Eric
vman1  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2013 9:59:15 AM(UTC)
vman1

The load size control directly controls the pressure switch. The timer would have no effect unless a different wash cycle was run when using the small load size setting. If your running the same wash cycle with different load size settings and it spins fine on large and super but not on small, then it must have something to do with the pressure switch.

Eric

Eric...thank you. I understand...I will look into that switch and the hose connection on the switch and check it for continuity as well...Take care, Victor
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply