Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tarzandude43  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 9:05:54 PM(UTC)
tarzandude43

Groups: Registered

Hello. OK i have checked the lid switch with an ohm meter and it tests good. power at the motor from the orange wire coming from the lid switch is 118 volts. the green led signals either normal standby or it blinks at half second intervals. the motor and pulley on the bottom of the drum turn freely by hand. when i run a cycle everything seems to operate correctly but the onlybthing he motor will do is hum a little and twitch slightly back and forth. no smoke heat or smell. the drum also turns freely by hand when it is off. any thoughts? i tried looking through other threads but there seem to be enough variences between models i thought i should ask about my machine in particular, thank you! model WHDSR316G2WW about 3 years old. top load hydrowave.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:18:29 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Check voltages on the rightmost connector of the motor with one lead of multimeter always on wht/red wire (neutral) of leftmost connector. For high speed agitate you should have 120vac on the blu and vio/wht wires. Low speed agitate, wht and vio/wht. High speed spin, blu and red. Low speed spin, wht and red. If these voltages correspond with timer knob settings, then your motor/inverter is bad. For agitate readings, the tub must be full of water to operate the water level pressure switch. I would just check it in spin mode. If the voltages are good and it's not spinning up, the motor/inverter is bad, probably the rpm sensor.

Eric
tarzandude43  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:58:07 AM(UTC)
tarzandude43

After checking voltage as described everything had between 118 and 120, except on low spin at first i had a reading of about 9.4 on the red wire. As i turned the dial it jumped up to 120 for a time and back to under 10. I assume this is normal since it did show 120 at some points in the cycle and since nothing else works perhaps you are correct? I will await your response before doing anything drastic!
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:20:47 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Yep, unfortunately, looks like a bad motor/inverter. Expensive part. If you purchase it from here, you can return it if it doesn't solve the problem but your getting the correct voltages and the lid switch is ok so I don't see what else it could be. BTW, you say it's 3 years old, that model was introduced in 2006. Give me the serial number and I can give exact date of manufacture.

Eric
tarzandude43  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:19:41 PM(UTC)
tarzandude43

Oh well, at least i have an answer so my brain can rest! Ive actually probably had it closer to four years not sure. I bought he house december of 08 so it was sometime in 2009. Also it was a returned item at home depot so they said they checked it out but couldnt sell it as new so i got i for $254. That said it would not be worth buying a motor for it. Anyway, my serial number is TR934545G. Thanks again!
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:41:31 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

It was manufactured in October of 2008. If your washer is in good shape otherwise, I would replace the motor. Most appliance tech's will advise keeping an older washer going rather than buying one of the new pieces of junk they are selling. Read this article.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply