Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jwmark  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:59:10 PM(UTC)
jwmark

Groups: Registered

The ignitor glows for about 10 to 15 seconds, then there is a click and it goes out. The gas flame never lights. I have replaced the ignitor and the gas valve coils. If I bypass the flame sensor I can get the ignitor to stay on longer, but still do not get a flame. I get voltage to the coil on valve number one (the coil with three wires), but do not get a voltage reading for the main coil (with two wires). Could it be the gas valve? Is there anything else it could be? Thank you!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:47:25 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Pretty likely, the coils are he culprit.

Part number: AP3094251
jwmark  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:09:17 AM(UTC)
jwmark

I have already replaced the coils with new ones. Thank you.
tag14rm  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:47:09 PM(UTC)
tag14rm

I'm having the same exact problems with my Kenmore elite gas dryer. I hear a slight buzz noise the ignitor glows then I hear a click after 10 seconds and the glow disappears without a flame. I tried replacing both solenoids but same problem..
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2014 2:01:57 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
What is the model number of your dryer?

Eric
jwmark  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2014 5:37:06 PM(UTC)
jwmark

Mine turned out to be the gas valve. It was an expensive part, but it fixed the problem. I would bypass the flame sensor (by disconnecting the two wires to it and then connecting them to each other) first. If the ignitor stays lit longer, but the flame does not light, I think the only thing that could be wrong is the gas valve. Do not leave the ignitor on too long or run it if it lights. Only do this for short period to test it. If the flame lights, replace the flame sensor.
fairbank56  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:04:59 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The secondary gas valve will never open if you bypass the flame sensor. The flame sensor shorts out the secondary valve coil. That coil will only be powered when the flame sensor opens due to the heat from the igniter. If the igniter comes on, gets white hot and opens flame sensor, then you should get gas.

Eric
tag14rm  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2014 12:53:19 PM(UTC)
tag14rm

First all thank you very much for your responses. With a multi-meter I tested the igniter and flame sensor and they both tested 0. Do you guys recommend swapping the whole valve at this point?

My model is a Kenmore 110.74082201
GHills  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:23:37 PM(UTC)
GHills

I have the same problem with my Whirlpool (WGD5200TQ0) gas dryer about 3-6 years old. All of a sudden it stopped heating up.

The ignitor lights up for 5-7 seconds after I start a heated cycle but then goes out for 30-45 seconds before clicking back on again for 5-7 seconds, but no flame.

My gas heat and hot water work, etc. I cleaned out the exhaust of any lint (there wasnt much at all), I tested the thermal fuse, high limit thermostat, cycling thermostat, ignitor, and flame sensor for continuity and they all checked out. I replaced the solenoids as well but still no heat.

Can anyone please help me figure out what the problem is?
scottthefixitguy  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:56:23 PM(UTC)
scottthefixitguy

I would replace the flame sensor.

It will have continuity at first but should break continuity after 4-6 seconds of a hot Ignitor . Then the gas should be let in. No gas would mean a bad flame sensor or the gas line is shut off.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply