Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jondska  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2009 8:39:20 AM(UTC)
jondska

Groups: Registered

I had a leaky ice maker so I called an appliance repair man to take a look. He just pulled it out and ordered a new one and replaced it for $389.00. I thought this was a lot of money for an ice maker. After he installed it, he forgot to put the arm back on, so he came and put that on. It didn't work so he came back 3 or 4 times and finally got it going almost 2 months later (whole nother story). Now, it does make ice but when it goes through the cycle, the arm does not come all the way back down so it thinks the bin is full and won't make any more ice. If I manually move the arm down, it will kick the ice out and go through the cycle and stall in the same position. The ice man won't return my calls (he actually told me not to call him if I have any more problems with this) so I thought I would try to see if there is a way to adjust the cycle on this so that the arm will go all the way down.

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

glen65  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2009 7:28:06 PM(UTC)
glen65

Groups: Senior Expert

Originally Posted by: jondska Go to Quoted Post
I had a leaky ice maker so I called an appliance repair man to take a look. He just pulled it out and ordered a new one and replaced it for $389.00. I thought this was a lot of money for an ice maker. After he installed it, he forgot to put the arm back on, so he came and put that on. It didn't work so he came back 3 or 4 times and finally got it going almost 2 months later (whole nother story). Now, it does make ice but when it goes through the cycle, the arm does not come all the way back down so it thinks the bin is full and won't make any more ice. If I manually move the arm down, it will kick the ice out and go through the cycle and stall in the same position. The ice man won't return my calls (he actually told me not to call him if I have any more problems with this) so I thought I would try to see if there is a way to adjust the cycle on this so that the arm will go all the way down.

Thanks

There is no adjustment for the shut off arm.

Need to make sure that the correct shut off arm is being used.
Sometimes when replacing the Ice maker its necessary to use
the arm from the old unit.

This is the pic of the one that's supposed to be used.
Its whirlpool part number 2314015. Does yours look like
this one?
UserPostedImage
**Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->
jondska  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2009 9:57:29 AM(UTC)
jondska

Groups: Registered

No, it doesn't look like that and he threw the old one away. I will see what I can do.

Thanks....
glen65  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 12:04:08 PM(UTC)
glen65

Groups: Senior Expert

Originally Posted by: jondska Go to Quoted Post
No, it doesn't look like that and he threw the old one away. I will see what I can do.

Thanks....

Good chance that's the source of your trouble.
The man working on it (not knowing) may have been trying to
get the wrong arm to work with the unit which "may"
explain the multiple trips out.
In 2005 whirlpool actually had a service bulletin on this model
refrigerator addressing a problem they was having with the ice maker
shut off arm. They came up with the one I listed to address the problem.
If your refrigerator was manufactured after a certain date
during or after 2005 then your ice maker already had the revised arm
installed. If they use something else you're probably going to have trouble with it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply