Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
611pecan  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:36:56 AM(UTC)
611pecan

Groups: Registered

Two days ago, I stepped into a puddle of water in front of my side by side. I found that the condensation pan was overflowing. We are elderly, and very carefull to not leave the doors open too long, but we had house guest for the previous week, and a big family dinner with everyone bringing food, and the frig has been full, (is about empty now although freezer is loaded, but not stuffed). I could not get too the pan, so I took a stick, and threaded a towell past obstructions into the pan, soaking the towell, then retrieving it, wringing it out and repeating till the pan was empty. Figuring it was a fluke, because of the heavy use the previous week, I thought everything would be fine now. Lo and behold, two days later I again stepped into a puddle, and proceeded to repete the tedious draining procedure. Now I fear I have a problem, it has been unusually hot here, and the house AC running alot, and I thought this should help in drying the pan, but filling in two days, what could be my problem? I have made a search on the forum, and the main thing I have found with my search, is water and ice in the bottom of freezer and frig, this is not the case here, both sides are ice and water free on the bottom. Oh by the way, the fan at the rear of the pan is working. Thanking iin advance for any help I can get.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 25, 2012 4:59:07 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Check that the vents on the front kick plate and the rear cover are clean.

Check that the condenser coils are clean.
Also the fan blade, a dirty fan blade can greatly reduce air flow.

Check the door seals, both doors.
Take a 2 inch wide strip of paper and insert it between the door seal and the frame then pull it out to see how well the seal is working.
Look at the hinge side of the seal when the door closes to ensure that it is not grabbing and twisting. If it is a light coat of white lithium grease or vaseline should fix this.

Check the hinge cams, one on the door and one on the hinge.
The door rides up and down on these. When closed the door is on the down side of the cam and this helps keep the door closed/sealed.

Fill a bowl with ice cubes and leave it for a day or two. If they all freeze together you may have a problem with the defrost or freezer temperature regulation. It may be melting food etc. in the freezer causing excessive moisture.
Though this and a bad seal would usually also cause frost on the inside of the freezer liner.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Simon / APP Team  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 25, 2012 4:32:24 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

May I add my thought.
There is the water filter housing and water line directly above the drip pan and sometimes it drips.

Thank you.

Simon.
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:45:30 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I would check out Simon's suggestion first.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
611pecan  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2012 2:13:53 AM(UTC)
611pecan

Groups: Registered

Well evidently problem is solved. I cannot say for sure what solved it, as we had just moved into a new home, and when moving the unit, I cleaned up the dust under it (although I was amazed at how little there was) as well as I could. I have not discovered a method of cleaning the congested area under a frig, other than compressed air, and blowing it everywhere, which is not a good idea in the home. I have been monitoring it close, by leaving off the kick plate, and laying on the floor in front of the unit, and looking at the leval of water in the pan.
the frig has always closed tight to the point, at times it is difficult to pull the door open.
I did eject the filter, and push it back in securely although I could observe no sign of a drip there.
I very much appreciate the help offered from simon, and denman, although I wish I could ID the source of problem, for the benefit of future problems of other forum participants.
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2012 11:42:46 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

You are welcome.

Simon.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply