Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jclawman  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:29:12 PM(UTC)
jclawman

Groups: Registered

The microwave is part of an oven/microwave combo, the microwave stopped working immediately on start up and I heard an audible pop that sounded like fuse blowing. I opened up the unit, found the fuse, ordered a new one (for $17!!) put the new one in and the unit powered up and allowed me to set a cook time but as soon as I pushed start it immediately blew the new fuse as well. Obviously, there is some other issue here any help is much appreciated!

In case it matters I will say that the new fuse came as a kit and included a "monitor" switch. The only problem is that the unit has three switches of this type in the door lock mechanism. I tested all three switches and they all seemed to be working correctly, so I replaced one arbitarily.

Finally, I bought the switch and fuse from this website and am a little upset with myself for blowing it in seconds.... can this fuse, a Bussman SC-20 Time Delay be purchased by itself?

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

RegUS_PatOff  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2008 9:23:53 AM(UTC)
RegUS_PatOff

ripleys  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2008 1:13:24 PM(UTC)
ripleys

Groups: Senior Expert

A bad door switch usually blows the fuse when the door is either opened or closed. Sounds to me like you have a problem with the high voltage section of your microwave e.g magnetron, capacitor, diode, HV transformer. I would suggest if you want to keep this microwave, get it diagnosed by a qualified service technician so you only replace the part that is required. Too many people try and fix these things just by replacing part after part after part and you end up spending a lot of unneccesary money to try and solve the problem.
RegUS_PatOff  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2008 2:22:40 PM(UTC)
RegUS_PatOff

the monitor switch interacts with the two interlock switches and will blow the fuse if either one of the interlock switches don't work (at the correct time).

monitor switch (red actuator) location on previous link

interlock switches (black actuator) Part Details - WHIRLPOOL Door interlock switch kit (2-pack), part number: AP3109474

#2 & #2 in this diagram:

http://www.appliancepartspros.c...ect/n/e/p/neplpl15jj.gif

schematic:
File Attachment(s):
Pages from Tech%20Sheet%20-%203182395.pdf (32kb) downloaded 57 time(s).
jclawman  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2008 4:13:29 PM(UTC)
jclawman

Thanks to you both for the info!! Particularly the schematic, any chance you have the whole thing or could direct me to where I could find it? I did end up taking the unit to a repair place to be diagnosed and the guy was looking for the wiring diagram but we could not find one any where in the unit. Thanks again.
RegUS_PatOff  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2008 4:46:33 PM(UTC)
RegUS_PatOff

I don't have the manual, the schematic was just 1 of 2 sheets of a similar model.

there is more info on the Sears website http://www3.sears.com/Paul/mode...asp?model_num=RM765pxbb2

give him these websites and print out the above messages.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply