Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CCH58  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2012 6:50:35 PM(UTC)
CCH58

Groups: Registered

We've had a lot of ice building up inside our freezer. We finally took everything out of it. I turned the temperature down to 1 and was surprised that the temperature didn't seem to go down. I turned the temperature back up to 5 and checked it later. I was surprised to find it really warm inside. Then it got cold again. We realized that if the temperature is dropping on its own and the ice was melting and then refreezing again later. Is our motor bad or is there a temperature sensor that is malfunctioning? The frig seems just fine. Also in the beginning it seemed that the ice maker would not sense when there was too much ice and wouldn't stop producing ice even though it was full.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2012 12:30:38 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would pull the motherboard out in the back and check for bad solder joints on the back, or just order a new one AP4436216
dpallas  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 4, 2013 3:21:41 PM(UTC)
dpallas

Groups: Registered

Based on personal experience with a GE side by side freezer/frig and other posts I've seen, I suggest spending $30 for the three thermistors in the freezer. My defrost cycle seemed to stay on too long and the ice in the ice bin would thaw and then refreeze together into one giant interwoven block. The freezer would start thawing and water would be dripping down from the ice bin and upper shelves. Then it would all refreeze. Frost would develop in the ice dispenser shute. If you want to do it step by step you can try replacing the two white thermistors, one in the freezer compartment and one on the coils. Just so I didn't have to empty the freezer again and take out the back panel for a second round, I also replaced the third thermostat, which is a different shape (instead of a small white rod) and metal with two different colored wires. Just be careful where you tuck the extra wire as I accidentally had one touching the heater elements and it melted the insulation during the first defrost cycle. I clipped out the bad part, rehooked them together with butt connectors, added some silicone to cover the holes at the end, and my freezer works great again!
richappy  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 12:42:14 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
It would help if you post the stabilized freezer temperature. It would also help if you can tell us what is running/ not running when it fails.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply