Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
phillips1978  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:46:04 AM(UTC)
phillips1978

Groups: Registered

Hello all! I am new to this and any and all help would be wounderful. I bought a used Kenmore Elite washer 2 days ago(model 110.16962501) The guy I got it from delivered it and hooked it up and we ran a load of clothes to see if it was working properely while he was still here. Everything ran grats and we were pleased with it. After he left we washed our second load and after the full wash we noticed when we took the clothes out that they were soaked and did not spin. To make a long story a little shorter after about 4 more loads we found that there is a problem that won't allow the washer to properely spin the clothes dry not only in the final spin cycle after the rinse cycle but sometimes it won't spin out the dirty soap water after the washing cycle. The crazy thing about it is that if I sit and until the above said cycle and notice it's not working all I have to do is open the lid and move the drum slightly and close the lid and it runs the spinning cycle fine. What would cause it to work some times and not others. And what does me opening the lid and moving the drum make it work when it doesn't properely work by itself? I am at my wits end and can't get the guy on the phone I bought it from. Can ANYONE PLEASE HELP??!! P.S I have tried to level the machine with a level and its plum, any other suggestions??
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

mr fixit appliance repair  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:53:20 AM(UTC)
mr fixit appliance repair

On this top load model , if the spin resets to normal when you open the lid and close it during spin cycle you probably have a loose or bad lid switch. The first thing you should to is open the lid and on the left side of the lid on the outside edge you will see 2 screws. Tighten these screws and see if that takes care of the problem. If that doesn't fix it then you most likely need a new lid switch. Before replacing the lid switch read below.

Most of the time a technician has to open the machine and bypass the lid switch to check proper function. If the technician bypasses the switch and the drum spins then the problem is usually the lid switch, but if the tub is spinning and you can put your hand on the inside of the tub and you can easily stop the drum from spinning once its moving pretty good then you need a new clutch.

I hope this helps

http://www.mrfixitappliancerepair.com
phillips1978  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:27:10 AM(UTC)
phillips1978

thanks for the info mr.fix, I was also told it could be the timer. does that sound like it could also be an issue? thankyou for your help
phillips1978  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:07:03 PM(UTC)
phillips1978

Just wanted to update everyone. I tightened the screws on lid and removed the cover to jump the lid switch and still are having the same problem. Also once the unit gets spinning it's not stopped by putting your hands on the drum. So I'm guessing its not a clutch issue correct? I've herd it could be a faulty timer, what say you?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply