Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
alltrees  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2012 12:13:21 PM(UTC)
alltrees

Groups: Registered

I have Kenmore model 10652603100 side-by-side refrigerator. Here are a list of symptoms in order of when I noticed them over about the last two months:
[LIST=1]
  • Ice maker not making ice
  • warm fridge (50 deg)
  • warm freezer[/LIST] Then i cleaned all coils and left unplugged for 24 hours. All was good for about 2 weeks (37 deg fridge) but still no ice. Now fridge is warm again (50 deg.)

I do notice some frost build up on the back bottom of frezzer but have not taken the back panel off to see how bad.

Also, I am noticing a knocking noise after I close the fridge door for a couple seconds.
  • Sponsor
    See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

alltrees  
    #2 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2012 1:01:40 PM(UTC)
    alltrees

Thanks for the ideas. Yesterday I turned off the fridge for about 6-8 hours. I noticed that the frost visable at the bottom back of frezzer was cleared up by that time, and now the fridge is 36 deg F. I think this rules out the fridge thermostat and also any problem with the dampers. I think the auto-defrost may not be working??
    Gene  
    #3 Posted : Monday, June 18, 2012 3:55:20 PM(UTC)
    Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
    Originally Posted by: alltrees Go to Quoted Post
    ...[LIST=1]
  • Ice maker not making ice
  • warm fridge (50 deg)
  • warm freezer[/LIST] ...Then i cleaned all coils and left unplugged for 24 hours. All was good for about 2 weeks (37 deg fridge) but still no ice...

...Also, I am noticing a knocking noise after I close the fridge door for a couple seconds...

• Ice maker needs at least 10°F in the freezer for normal ice production. If the temperature is warmer it would not work. Measure the temperature in the freezer and post the result.

Regarding the insufficient temperature in the fresh food compartment, most likely, it caused by a faulty defrost system which consists of 3 parts - the defrost thermostat (on top of the evaporator coils), the defrost heater (goes around the evaporator coils) and the adaptive defrost control (a part of the microcomputer inside the control box). You have to check the defrost thermostat and the defrost heater for continuity first. If they both are good, replace the microcomputer.

- The defrost heater Part number: 2323198
    Part number: 2323198

- The defrost thermostat Part number: 2321799
    Part number: 2321799

- The microcomputer Part number: 8201528
    Part number: 8201528

Try to pinpoint this knocking noise and post the result.

Gene.
    alltrees  
    #4 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:58:01 AM(UTC)
    alltrees

Hello Gene,
    Thanks for your ideas. Since 6/17/12 when I let the system thaw for 6 hours, it has been running consistent... Cool fridge, cold freezer and No ice. I just finally bought some thermometers yesterday. Freezer is about -10 F and fridge is 37 F.

Regarding the knocking noice, best I can tell is that is coming from right side of fridge, but still not possitive.
    Jack

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
    Ice maker needs at least 10°F in the freezer for normal ice production. If the temperature is warmer it would not work. Measure the temperature in the freezer and post the result.

Regarding the insufficient temperature in the fresh food compartment, most likely, it caused by a faulty defrost system which consists of 3 parts - the defrost thermostat (on top of the evaporator coils), the defrost heater (goes around the evaporator coils) and the adaptive defrost control (a part of the microcomputer inside the control box). You have to check the defrost thermostat and the defrost heater for continuity first. If they both are good, replace the microcomputer.

- The defrost heater Part number: 2323198
    Part number: 2323198

- The defrost thermostat Part number: 2321799
    Part number: 2321799

- The microcomputer Part number: 8201528
    Part number: 8201528

Try to pinpoint this knocking noise and post the result.

Gene.
    Gene  
    #5 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2012 11:32:23 AM(UTC)
    Gene

You have to adjust the temperature control because -10°F is too cold for the freezer. The normal temperature is about 0°F.

Gene.
    alltrees  
    #6 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:33:08 PM(UTC)
    alltrees

So does this mean the freezers thermostats might be bad? The temp control has always been set to 0 for freezer and 37 for fridge. Fridge is running true, but freezers is not. I tried adjusting the electronic control from 0 to +10 to compensate for being too cold, but highest setting the control allows is +5.
    Gene  
    #7 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:56:24 PM(UTC)
    Gene

Try to replace the freezer thermistor.

- The thermistor Part number: 2188819
    Part number: 2188819

Gene.
    alltrees  
    #8 Posted : Tuesday, July 3, 2012 3:58:11 AM(UTC)
    alltrees

I have replaced the freezer thermistor and let it run for a couple days. Fridge temp is 38F and freezer about +6F, so much improved compared to -10F. And now the ice maker is cycling!!:)

However now I have noticed the water volume being dispensed into the ice maker is very small, and only very thin cubes are being made:( . How can I correct this?

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
    Try to replace the freezer thermistor.

- The thermistor Part number: 2188819
    Part number: 2188819

Gene.
    Gene  
    #9 Posted : Tuesday, July 3, 2012 3:46:24 PM(UTC)
    Gene

How old is the water filter? It will never last more than a year.

- The water filter Part number: 4396508
    Part number: 4396508

Gene.
    alltrees  
    #10 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2012 5:15:00 AM(UTC)
    alltrees

Ok... Finally success!! Replaced freezer thermistor, defrost thermostate, and water inlet valve. All these components tested bad using ohm meter. Now have cold fridge (38F), freezer not too cold (6F) and ice maker making ice, with no frost build-up!!

Case closed - At least for now... Thanks for your suggestions Gene.:)

PS - Regarding your suggestion about replacing water filter, I permanently have water filter removed and automaticlly bypassed as I have filtered R/O whole house system as the water source.
    Quick Reply Show Quick Reply