Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mxrider29  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2012 4:06:47 AM(UTC)
mxrider29

Groups: Registered

Hello All,

I have a Kenmore 106.79852990 Fridge with Top Freezer. I keep it outside in a outdoor porch area so it's out of most of the elements. As it just got really hot here this past weekend the refrigerator and freezer have not been cold at all, to the point that ice melts, anything frozen in freezer has melted and the new case of beer isn't cold at all after 2 days. Both fans work, the compressor seems to come on, I removed the back panel of the freezer and the top right corner of the evaporator is frozen. There is something in there wrapped in what looks to be black silicone or dumdum and encased in clear plastic, and there is also a small round sensor or something there, I think that maybe the defrost thermostat. I don't know howto test it to see if it's bad or what may be bad.

Any ideas? I have tools and DVOM if I need to test measurements of the components.

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2012 4:44:52 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Check that the compressor is vibrating to ensure that it is on.
Is the compressor on all the time or does it cycle?
Since the coils are not heavily frosted/iced over you do not have a defrost problem

Manually defrost the unit so there is no ice or frost on the coils.
Then plug the unit in and let it run for a couple hours.
Then check the evaporator coils.
If there is just frost in one area usually where the freon enters the coils then you are probably low on freon.
Note it is important that the compressor runs continuously, if you check it shortly after a defrost cycle you will end up mus-diagnosing the problem.

Low freon will be an expensive repair as you need a pro. Often it makes more sense to put the dollars towards a new unit.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
mxrider29  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2012 5:04:33 AM(UTC)
mxrider29

Groups: Registered

Thanks for your help. It defrosted over night, I put it back together and turned it back on. I'll see how it is when I get home from work.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply