Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
curly33333  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:51:35 AM(UTC)
curly33333

Groups: Registered

Whirlpool top load direct dirve washer will agitate but will not spin or drain. When the timer setting is set to
Agitate: works great
Spin: motor hums
pump: motor hums' will not drain.
Timer and lid switch seems ok.

I have checked the pump and it is free and clear of obstructions. I can spin the motor by hand and the coupling is still intact and in good condition. I have also checked continuity of the motor and it checks out ok. If the motor test is good does this also test ifthe switch is good? Is there another way to test the switch? What should I troubleshoot next?

Also, had a repair man quote a new motor and water valve. If the motor spins the agitate then the motor and capcitor is good right? What would the water valve have to do with my problem?
Thanks,
Moms less than year old washer.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:28:37 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Remove the washer cabinet. Disconnect the wire plug from the motor and carefully check all wires. Plug it back. Remove the motor and put it aside. Bypass the lid switch and try the motor on spin/drain cycle.

If it would work, put it back in place together with the pump and give it a try.

Post the results.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for Whirlpool WTW57ESVW1 AUTOMATIC WASHER | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
curly33333  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:57:03 AM(UTC)
curly33333

Thanks for the reply. I will try that this evening.

After tinkering with it yesterday I discovered that the washer will fill/agitate in the regular wash setting only. This makes me wonder it the timer or another switch before the motor is not engauging.
Is there a method to test the timer?

When I have the motor out of the machine and it still doesn't spin, what pins do I need to connect to hot test it? I have an AC Plug with 2 com and 2 hot leads. What pins do I connect them to?
File Attachment(s):
WTW57ESVW1.pdf (80kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
Gene  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:08:31 PM(UTC)
Gene

If the motor still humming during the spin/drain cycle being out of the machine, then most likely the problem is a bad speed switch (next to the timer). It is a common problem in such situation. You can verify it by measuring the current drawn by the motor. It should not exceed the number written on the motor.

- The speed switch Part number: W10180780
Part number: W10180780

Gene.
curly33333  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2012 12:20:04 PM(UTC)
curly33333

I hot tested the motor and it drained then spun with no problems at all. Therefore the appliance service rep was deffinately wrong.

I tested the draw amps of the wires on the switch and it looks as if the red/blue wire is pulling 18 amps. Motor is rated for 9.8. This does concide with your analysis that the switch is bad. My question is why would there be more amp draw if the switch is bad? Shouldn't there be no amperage draw if the switch was bad?

Is there a way to test the timer?
Gene  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2012 2:35:01 PM(UTC)
Gene

This switch is the culprit. No doubt about it. Why do you want to test the timer? Just replace that switch.

Gene.
curly33333  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 10, 2012 6:09:50 AM(UTC)
curly33333

That was it! I ordered the switch from you guys and it only took 2 days to get here. Very fast shipping!!! I installed the new switch and now the washer is working perfect. You guys are PROS!!! Thanks a bunch, Gene. You diagnosed my problem when the local repair guy couldn't.
Gene  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 12:36:26 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome. I'm glad it's up and running.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply