Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dcoates  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2012 9:16:19 AM(UTC)
dcoates

Groups: Registered

My freezer started running very cold that was loading frost on everything and the "blower" wouldn't stop running. Within the last week, my refrigerator is running warm. Also, there is a very loud noise once in awhile from either a motor or a fan coming from the freezer. :eek:

I called Maytag directly, of course I only had a one year warranty and they're offering me options that are WAY too far beyond my financial means :(

:confused: :confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:35:38 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.
Check if any cold air coming in to refrigerator from the freezer.
Remove the evaporator cover and see what is the frost pattern.
Is there a snow packed evaporator?

Post the results.

Simon.
dcoates  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2012 1:06:45 PM(UTC)
dcoates

Where is the evaporator cover?
dcoates  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2012 1:31:22 PM(UTC)
dcoates

I managed to get part of the panel in the back of the freezer away to look behind it (i can't get the ice maker off, there's two bolts i can't get to and have to wait for my husband.

in answer to your question (i think) - no, there is no air blowing in to the refrigerator and there is very little ice on the coils that I saw behind the panel. no excess frost, fan is running freely (to much - my electric bill is going to be nuts next month)
Simon / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2012 2:30:12 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

Replace the cover for now. When you'll be able to remove it completely, check if the evaporator is frosted evenly or partially.Is there an ice block in one corner?
With cover replaced and freezer door closed see if you can feel air coming from the freezer into the refrigerator.
If not - check for blocked air ducts(ice, snow).
Before any tests let it run for couple of hours.

Post the results.

Simon.
dcoates  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2012 7:34:06 PM(UTC)
dcoates

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
dcoates  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2012 7:35:33 PM(UTC)
dcoates

Thanks. Will have to wait until my husband is able to get the ice maker off. the screws are almost impossible to get to where they're at. :( will let you kow a.s.a.p. thanks so much for the help.
dcoates  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 4, 2012 4:12:22 PM(UTC)
dcoates

I got the ice maker removed, put the cover back in place and left the freezer alone for awhile. I still don't know what you're referring to regarding an "evaporator" but their's frost everywhere as well as "ice blocks" (though that could have been when I've had the freezer open at times, melting frosted areas and re-freezing). The frost is not as heavy behind the cover as it is all over the food items in there.

There is still no cold air blowing into the refrigerator. It's still somewhat cool, but to ensure I keep things as cool as possible, I've been freezing pitchers of water and putting them in the refrigerator.
Simon / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2012 9:22:31 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

Most likely there is a bad door seal in the freezer compartment.
Check both of them.
If the gasket need adjustment you can do it using the blow dryer to heat it and reshape. Do not melt the gasket!
Before using the fridge again defrost it completely for 24 hrs.
Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for Maytag MTF2142MES00 REFRIGERATOR | AppliancePartsPros.com

Good luck. Post the results.

Simon.
dcoates  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2012 12:52:54 PM(UTC)
dcoates

no, it's definitely not the seal. Has to be something mechanical / electrical. The noise had stopped, but last night and today it started again.

I felt cold air coming into the refrigerator again, so I re-set the temp setting to "recommended" and it got warm again.

Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a repair guy in here to look at things :(
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply