Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
caseyaguilar  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 11:28:47 AM(UTC)
caseyaguilar

Groups: Registered

I have a roper side by side that stopped working when plugged in the light inside comes on and ice maker works but the fridge does not get cold as well as the freezer.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Frank / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 12:00:48 PM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Originally Posted by: caseyaguilar Go to Quoted Post
I have a roper side by side that stopped working when plugged in the light inside comes on and ice maker works but the fridge does not get cold as well as the freezer.

A bit confused, you state the IM works but the freezer nor fresh food is cooling. Not sure how the IM is producing ice if the freezer isn't cold.

Can you hear the compressor running? Hear the fan in the freezer running?
caseyaguilar  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 12:08:56 PM(UTC)
caseyaguilar

Originally Posted by: Frank / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
A bit confused, you state the IM works but the freezer nor fresh food is cooling. Not sure how the IM is producing ice if the freezer isn't cold.

Can you hear the compressor running? Hear the fan in the freezer running?

What I mean is the ice machine motor i guess when you close the door and push the ice despenser in the motor that makes ice come out inside the ice box, its not producing any ice sorry for the confusion. But up until about 2 hrs ago the fan would come on for about 30 min than turn off but now the only thing it does when plugged in is the lights come on inside. thats it. i don't here any fans or compressors come on.
Frank / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 12:38:27 PM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

What I mean is the ice machine motor i guess when you close the door and push the ice despenser in the motor that makes ice come out inside the ice box, its not producing any ice sorry for the confusion. But up until about 2 hrs ago the fan would come on for about 30 min than turn off but now the only thing it does when plugged in is the lights come on inside. thats it. i don't here any fans or compressors come on.

Gotcha. First thing I would look at is the defrost timer. It maybe stuck in the defrost mode. You'll find the timer located in the control panel, where your dials are. It appears you can access the turn screw through a small round opening. Using a flat blade screwdriver you can turn it and see if you hear a click and see if the unit starts up. If it does your timer is bad. There is also the potential for the cold control/thermostat being bad. It's also shown in the below link. Look under the control housing picture.

Part number: AP3110896
caseyaguilar  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 1:47:31 PM(UTC)
caseyaguilar

Gotcha. First thing I would look at is the defrost timer. It maybe stuck in the defrost mode. You'll find the timer located in the control panel, where your dials are. It appears you can access the turn screw through a small round opening. Using a flat blade screwdriver you can turn it and see if you hear a click and see if the unit starts up. If it does your timer is bad. There is also the potential for the cold control/thermostat being bad. It's also shown in the below link. Look under the control housing picture.

Part number: AP3110896

ok I did that and your right the frig was stuck in defrost mode so the timer is bad, now where do i find the theromstat control and how can i find out if its bad or is it just obvious since the fridge is not cooling. also now i can start hearing a click sound coming from the big round black thing in the back of the fridge like somthing trying to turn on but not.
Frank / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:44:33 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

ok I did that and your right the frig was stuck in defrost mode so the timer is bad, now where do i find the theromstat control and how can i find out if its bad or is it just obvious since the fridge is not cooling. also now i can start hearing a click sound coming from the big round black thing in the back of the fridge like somthing trying to turn on but not.

I wasn't implying they were both bad. It was "it's probably one or the other" from what you explained. If you heard the compressor start when you turned the defrost timer then I say that is bad.

Hearing the compressor clicking and not starting isn't a good thing. Was it doing that before the unit went silent?
caseyaguilar  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:28:10 AM(UTC)
caseyaguilar

I wasn't implying they were both bad. It was "it's probably one or the other" from what you explained. If you heard the compressor start when you turned the defrost timer then I say that is bad.

Hearing the compressor clicking and not starting isn't a good thing. Was it doing that before the unit went silent?

NO it was making the clicking sound before. and i actually took the thermostat out and pulled it apart and it was burned up inside.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply