Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
marksan  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:31:45 AM(UTC)
marksan

Groups: Registered

I am replacing the old motor with Part number: AP3094245
Part number: AP3094245
(279827). The instructions call for rearranging some of the wiring. The harness colors do not match those in the instructions. However, the the wire plug looks the same on the old and new. The configuration also looks the same.Can I just plug the old plug into the new motor?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Espritman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2009 10:40:47 AM(UTC)
Espritman

Marksan, I have no answer for you but a question. Our Kenmore dryer models are similarly aged. No one has responded to my post about removing the motor. Please respond if you can assist. Here's my post:
I must replace the motor that drives the drum. I have removed the front panel, the drum, belt and the 2 clips holding the motor to its bracket. I have also removed the rear panel of the dryer but can't figure out how to get access to the rear of the motor in order to remove it and install the fan and/or pulley to the new motor? I'll send pictures offline if that will help. Thank you!
Espritman
an you help?
marksan  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2009 5:15:31 PM(UTC)
marksan

Originally Posted by: Espritman Go to Quoted Post
Marksan, I have no answer for you but a question. Our Kenmore dryer models are similarly aged. No one has responded to my post about removing the motor. Please respond if you can assist. Here's my post:
I must replace the motor that drives the drum. I have removed the front panel, the drum, belt and the 2 clips holding the motor to its bracket. I have also removed the rear panel of the dryer but can't figure out how to get access to the rear of the motor in order to remove it and install the fan and/or pulley to the new motor? I'll send pictures offline if that will help. Thank you!
Espritman
an you help?

I was able to complete my installation successfully. At the rear of the motor is a square nut that is attached to the fan. It's a little hard to see. You will need to use an open-ended or crescent wrench to keep it from moving while you turn the motor shaft from the front CLOCKWISE. Grip the front of the shaft at the flat area between the pulley and the motor. It can be hard and a little awkward to break the nut loose, so don't bang any knuckles. You then do the reverse to re-install the motor.
Hope this helps.
Espritman  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2009 6:02:48 PM(UTC)
Espritman

You bet it it does! We were confounded. Thank you!
Your new motor # is identical to mine. Apparently, it is the replacement for many older machine's motors.
Let's see if I understand you correctly:
From the rear of the dryer with the panel removed, you were able to lie on the floor and reach into the lint/heat exhaust tube horizontally (and blind) at the very bottom of the machine with a wrench that you used to remove the square(?) nut on the end of the motor (fan) shaft while (someone else) turning the pulley clockwise on the other end of the motor? I was able to reach in and feel the fan but I don't think I could see it.
More clarifying:
Does your machine have a rectangular vertical gray metal tube that runs the height of the unit up the left (from the rear) side to the lint filter?
I have a feeling that this is going to be the solution to a confounding problem. I'll find out early in September when I 'visit' the machine again.
Right now, it's in pieces. The 'classic' method of clothes drying is being used.
Sincere thanks.
Bob
marksan  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2009 5:23:51 AM(UTC)
marksan

Originally Posted by: Espritman Go to Quoted Post
You bet it it does! We were confounded. Thank you!
Your new motor # is identical to mine. Apparently, it is the replacement for many older machine's motors.
Let's see if I understand you correctly:
From the rear of the dryer with the panel removed, you were able to lie on the floor and reach into the lint/heat exhaust tube horizontally (and blind) at the very bottom of the machine with a wrench that you used to remove the square(?) nut on the end of the motor (fan) shaft while (someone else) turning the pulley clockwise on the other end of the motor? I was able to reach in and feel the fan but I don't think I could see it.
More clarifying:
Does your machine have a rectangular vertical gray metal tube that runs the height of the unit up the left (from the rear) side to the lint filter?
I have a feeling that this is going to be the solution to a confounding problem. I'll find out early in September when I 'visit' the machine again.
Right now, it's in pieces. The 'classic' method of clothes drying is being used.
Sincere thanks.
Bob

I accessed the nut from inside the cabinet and behind the motor. If someone holds the fan steady from the back, so much the better. Pushing the fan as far forward as possible may help you to see the nut inside.
Russell2004  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2009 10:57:41 AM(UTC)
Russell2004

Bob and Marksan,
Do you have any suggestions as to where I can find step by step instructions on replacing the motor? We are replacing the same part (Part number: 279827
Part number: 279827
) and are trying to save money by doing it ourselves. Any resources you found helpful would be appreciated!! I will also be referring to this thread to remove the blower.
Thanks!
PS. The dryer broke in May and we've also been using the "classic" method this summer! :) Now it's time to fix it!!
Espritman  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:39:01 AM(UTC)
Espritman

Originally Posted by: Russell2004 Go to Quoted Post
Bob and Marksan,
Do you have any suggestions as to where I can find step by step instructions on replacing the motor? We are replacing the same part (279827) and are trying to save money by doing it ourselves. Any resources you found helpful would be appreciated!! I will also be referring to this thread to remove the blower.
Thanks!
PS. The dryer broke in May and we've also been using the "classic" method this summer! :) Now it's time to fix it!!

Sorry, no help from me. We tried everything we could think of, then sent the $100 motor back to Sears and bought a new one for $300 delivered with the (very) old one removed. Ours had to be different from Marksan's.
Gene  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:59:26 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Russell2004 Go to Quoted Post
Bob and Marksan,
Do you have any suggestions as to where I can find step by step instructions on replacing the motor? We are replacing the same part (279827) and are trying to save money by doing it ourselves. Any resources you found helpful would be appreciated!! I will also be referring to this thread to remove the blower.
Thanks!

What is the complete model number of the dryer?

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply