Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
j s machine  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 6:51:22 AM(UTC)
j s machine

Groups: Registered

I knew this day would come, but I was kind of hoping it wouldn't anytime soon..

Turned on our dyer this morning to dry some clothes and nothing happened but a noise. It makes a huming noise but does not spin. Almost sounds like the motor is in a bind and cannot turn the drum. So I tried turning the drum by hand, and it turns like it always has. Kind of hard to turn it but it does turn.

I've never done any appliance repair, but I'm no stranger to fixing things. My first thoughts were a broken belt, or a maybe a motor that is attemting to turn but won't..It's making a sound similar to a motor that starts with a capacitor and the cap has gone bad. Do these dryers use a cap to start the motor by chance?

I guess I'll pull it out tonight and see what I can find.

Any hints?

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 7:25:08 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
A model number may help others help you.

The motors do not use capacitive start.

Try turning the drum by hand. Should turn fairly easily. If not could be the drum is jammed for some reason. You may want to try this on a couple other dryers to get a feel for it.
If it is difficult to turn run your fingers around the back and front of the tub to machine seal. To see if something has jammed between the tub and frame (bra wires are famous for this). Be careful in case the object is something sharp.
If nothing is jammed in there you will have to open it up and find the cause.

If it rotates OK.
This may take 2 people
Open the door
Manually hold the door switch closed
Push the start button and manually rotate the drum in the correct direction.
Watch your knuckles in case it starts up.
If it does start up, odds are high that you need a new motor.

Could also be that the motor is jammed solid with lint and this is preventing the Start/Run centrifugal switch from resetting (the unit is trying to start with out the motor's start winding in circuit.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
j s machine  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 8:19:00 AM(UTC)
j s machine

I just watched about 25 videos in order from 1-25, of a guy showing how to repair a kenmore dryer. In those vids he calls it a 90 series, and it looks very smilar to mine.

About a week ago, mine made a squealing sound for a few minutes while running. It eventually stopped. I'm wondering if one of the wheels that the drum rests on may be frozen up, or if the bearing is bad. I can physically turn the drum by hand, but it is difficult.

The other things that got my attention in the videos is what he was saying about the sound. He said if it makes a humming sound, the belt may have come off or broken. If this happens, the idler pulley which is mounted to a microswitch will trip and not allow the motor to turn on..question is, would I still hear the humming or nothing at all?

Then he said the other possibility is that the motor is bad..

Later on in the videos he pointed to another part called the motor circuit thermal fuse. He said if this is blown the motor will not come on. I can check that. He also said that if the thermal fuse is blown, I need to replace the cycling thermostat right beside it too, at the same time.

I can check all of this tonight.

I'm just not sure where I can get parts. I don't want to go through sears, but I don't know of any parts places. I guess I'm m going to have to call around and see where I can get them.
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 9:22:41 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I'm wondering if one of the wheels that the drum rests on may be frozen up, or if the bearing is bad. [/COLOR]
I cannot say without a model number.
Some units do not use rear support wheels.
Model Number Locator
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
The other things that got my attention in the videos is what he was saying about the sound. He said if it makes a humming sound, the belt may have come off or broken.[/COLOR]
Try the rotating of the drum. If it starts then you know for sure that the belt is OK.
A hum could be just a broken belt re: just the motor rotating.
When the motor is bad or has too much load the sound is more of a buzz.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
If this happens, the idler pulley which is mounted to a microswitch will trip and not allow the motor to turn on..question is, would I still hear the humming or nothing at all?[/COLOR]
I cannot say if your unit has a belt switch, most units do not.
If it does then you will not have a hum as it kills power to the motor when the belt breaks.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Then he said the other possibility is that the motor is bad.[/COLOR]
This is [probably the most common cause.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Later on in the videos he pointed to another part called the motor circuit thermal fuse. He said if this is blown the motor will not come on. I can check that. He also said that if the thermal fuse is blown, I need to replace the cycling thermostat right beside it too, at the same time.[/COLOR]
I do not agree with some of the above but it really does not matter as a blown thermal fuse also kills power to the motor.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I'm just not sure where I can get parts. I don't want to go through sears, but I don't know of any parts places. I guess I'm m going to have to call around and see where I can get them[/COLOR].
They sell parts at AppliancePartsPros.
I do recommend them for a couple reasons.
1. I have seen many comments from happy customers.
2. They sponsor this forum as a public service.
Note: I do not work for them.

You may want to try rotating the drum on a couple other units, then you will have a feel for what is normal. Also be sure to rotate it in the correct direction.

Before ordering anything I would recommend opening it up and checking the belt, the rear rollers if used, the rear bearing if used, the idler wheel and shaft, the drum seals, all internal seals, the front glides/supports etc.
If you decide to fix it you may as well give it an overhaul.
If it needs lots of parts it may not be worth fixing.
j s machine  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 9:45:22 AM(UTC)
j s machine

Sorry I don't have a model number at the moment. I will be sure to get it when I get home. I meant to get it before I left the house this morning but I forgot.

Thanks for the continued feedback. I'll let you know what I find today when I get home and get it apart.
j s machine  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 2:10:07 PM(UTC)
j s machine

Ok, the model I have is a Series 90, just like the one in these youtube vids

KENMORE DRYER REPAIR VIDEO 1 - YouTube

I got everything apart. The belt is not broken and the 4 wheels the drum ride on are turning freely. The micro switch on the idler pulley arm seems to work fine.

This is what I found when pulled the drum out.

UserPostedImage

Talk about a fire waiting to happen.

So I cleaned all the lint out real good with a vaccuum and got it clean. When I grasp the blower and turn it, the motor is difficult to turn. It takes some effort, but it does turn.

I checked all the elctronic pieces in there with a tester, just like he does in the videos, and got continuity on everything, so I assume everything is fine. I don't know how to test the motor.

Now that everything is cleaned out, I kind of want to put it back together and see if it works now, but I feel like it won't.

Hopefully I've provided enough info for you all to help me

Thanks.
denman  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 5:14:52 PM(UTC)
denman

The blower wheel/motor should spin easily.
Odds are that it is toast.

You could try removing it and cleaning the bearings.
The blower wheel is probably a left hand thread on the motor armature.
Often the only way to get them off is to destroy them.
j s machine  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:12:38 AM(UTC)
j s machine

Are the bearings themselves replaceable, or am I looking at a new motor altogether?
denman  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:10:05 AM(UTC)
denman

The bearings on the motor are not replaceable.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply