Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chaseybean  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:27:50 PM(UTC)
chaseybean

Groups: Registered

[FONT="Arial","sans-serif"]30 days ago I noticed my ice cream melting.Two weeks after that, my ice melted. Nothing will freeze on the freezer sideand the other side is not very cold. I have been storing food on the freezerside and keeping the ice cubes frozen by using dry ice. I can hear the fridgeworking, but sometimes it sounds like it shuts off. When this happens, it seemsas though there is no air blowing into either side of the fridge. But when Iturn the red knob located underneath the kick plate at the bottom of thefridge, the fridge comes back on. I do this 4-5 times per day…sometimes—sometimes 2 – 3 times. Tired of buying dry ice, I finally called arepair guy. First he said it was the timer and then he said it was thecompressor because it was HOT to the touch. When he removed the fan guard, itwas completely clogged with???...dust I guess, but it was as thick as a linttrap in a dryer. I told the repair guy that I could not afford to pay $700 toreplace the compressor and would have to buy a rent-to-own fridge and wonderedif there was anything he could do to prolong the life until that time. So heremoved the cardboard backing and the fan guard. HE said the fridge would getmore air this way. It seems like the airis blowing colder in the fridge now. Is there a chance it is not thecompressor? I read where someone had a similar problem and he changed the “relayoverload unit”. I’m just a single helpless girl with no expertise is this area.I am very worried that this HOT, HOT, compressor might catch something on fire!Can that happen? Also, is it really ok to leave the cardboard backing and fanguard off? Help! [/FONT]
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gary/APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 12:41:48 PM(UTC)
mattt

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: chaseybean Go to Quoted Post

[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]30 days ago I noticed my ice cream melting.Two weeks after that, my ice melted. Nothing will freeze on the freezer sideand the other side is not very cold. I have been storing food on the freezerside and keeping the ice cubes frozen by using dry ice. I can hear the fridgeworking, but sometimes it sounds like it shuts off. When this happens, it seemsas though there is no air blowing into either side of the fridge. But when Iturn the red knob located underneath the kick plate at the bottom of thefridge, the fridge comes back on. I do this 4-5 times per day…sometimes—sometimes 2 – 3 times. Tired of buying dry ice, I finally called arepair guy. First he said it was the timer and then he said it was thecompressor because it was HOT to the touch. When he removed the fan guard, itwas completely clogged with???...dust I guess, but it was as thick as a linttrap in a dryer. I told the repair guy that I could not afford to pay $700 toreplace the compressor and would have to buy a rent-to-own fridge and wonderedif there was anything he could do to prolong the life until that time. So heremoved the cardboard backing and the fan guard. HE said the fridge would getmore air this way. It seems like the airis blowing colder in the fridge now. Is there a chance it is not thecompressor? I read where someone had a similar problem and he changed the “relayoverload unit”. I’m just a single helpless girl with no expertise is this area.I am very worried that this HOT, HOT, compressor might catch something on fire!Can that happen? Also, is it really ok to leave the cardboard backing and fanguard off? Help! [/FONT]

Hello . Here is where I would start, open the freezer door hold the door switch in do you hear the evaporator fan blowing ? if not that is part of the reason your compressor is running so hot. next thing the cardboard needs to be where the factory put it, reason being this directs the airflow across the compressor,to help cool it, I would need you to provide the model number for me to give you the correct part numbers of the evaporator fan, this sounds like to me your problem , If you could check the model # and get back to us we will gladly help you finish this repair, we are here for you thank you and good luck !
richappy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 3:19:27 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Check the compressor now, it should be warm and the condensing coils warm.
If ok, measure the stabilized freezer temperature and post,should be under 10 degrees.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply