Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WI-landlord  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2012 10:08:38 AM(UTC)
WI-landlord

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I'm trying to repair a fridge that went out in on of my apratments.
It's a Frigidaire Model FRT18TPHWO - freezer on top model.
Neither the fridge or the freezer compartments are getting cold, so I'm looking for advice from the experts.

Here's the situation:
I suspected a problem in the defrost circuit, so I went ahead & installed a new defrost timer and new defrost thermostat. They were easy enough to just replace. I still have the back cover removed from the freezer section and want to see if the new components fixed the problem. It appears that they haven't.
The refrigerator powers up, light in fridge works, compressor is running, circulation fan in freezer compartment is running, temperature control knob is turned all the way up to "coldest", switch in fridge compartment is set to "reduce exterior mositure".
I've let it run for about a half hour and when I open the freezer and feel the coils on the evaporator, they are not getting cold. They are still at room temperature at best. Thus, the fridge and freezer are not and will not get cold.
I do not see any evidence that the compressor or refrigerant lines/evaporator/condensor could be damaged (i.e. loss of refrigerant).

What did I miss? What else could this situation be caused by?
I'll appreciate any advice on this matter.

Thanks in advance!
Ron
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2012 10:47:54 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WI-landlord Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I'm trying to repair a fridge that went out in on of my apratments.
It's a Frigidaire Model FRT18TPHWO - freezer on top model.
Neither the fridge or the freezer compartments are getting cold, so I'm looking for advice from the experts.

Here's the situation:
I suspected a problem in the defrost circuit, so I went ahead & installed a new defrost timer and new defrost thermostat. They were easy enough to just replace. I still have the back cover removed from the freezer section and want to see if the new components fixed the problem. It appears that they haven't.
The refrigerator powers up, light in fridge works, compressor is running, circulation fan in freezer compartment is running, temperature control knob is turned all the way up to "coldest", switch in fridge compartment is set to "reduce exterior mositure".
I've let it run for about a half hour and when I open the freezer and feel the coils on the evaporator, they are not getting cold. They are still at room temperature at best. Thus, the fridge and freezer are not and will not get cold.
I do not see any evidence that the compressor or refrigerant lines/evaporator/condensor could be damaged (i.e. loss of refrigerant).

What did I miss? What else could this situation be caused by?
I'll appreciate any advice on this matter.

Thanks in advance!
Ron

Ron,
If the compressor starts and runs, the whole test period time, or more than a minute or two, you'd have to have a refrigerant leak, and no refrigerant in the system.
If you have a clamp on amp meter, I'd expect an amperage draw of 2.5 to 4.5 amps, if the compressor is running and the system has the proper sized refrigerant draw.

Thanks and Good Luck,
:) :) :) :)
WI-landlord  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2012 6:50:15 PM(UTC)
WI-landlord

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the advice Joe. I will check the current draw of the compressor as you suggest.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2012 5:09:38 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WI-landlord Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the advice Joe. I will check the current draw of the compressor as you suggest.

WI,
OK, That's quick way to test a system. Low amp draw(> 1 amp) would indicate a bad compressor or no refrigerant in the sealed sytem. You'll be able to decide which direction to go from there.

:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply