Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pflorian  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:03:43 PM(UTC)
pflorian

Groups: Registered

I replaced the noisy .2 watt condenser fan on my side by side with a .4 watt same brand model that I wired in without the plug in connector. It ran briefly 5 seconds then compresser and fan quit. fridge lights still worked. Did I blow the start relay or what part most likely? I don't see anything fried. How can i test what part to replace. And I guess i should get the right fan.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 1:28:09 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Your fridg takes a 2 watt, 115 volt motor.AP3120994 Did you replace it with a 115 volt AC motor?
pflorian  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 4:08:11 AM(UTC)
pflorian

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Your fridg takes a 2 watt, 115 volt motor.AP3120994 Did you replace it with a 115 volt AC motor?

I replaced it with a 115v, 1550 rpm single speed Emerson 2115. I confess I flipped the leads to get fan to blow the other way as it had no plug anyway.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 7:28:35 AM(UTC)
richappy

That is a self polled 115 volt motor, not polarity sensitive, but it's current draw might have exceeded the driver rating. Old one drew .17 amp. Either that, or you might have temporarily shorted the leads
pflorian  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 9:08:49 AM(UTC)
pflorian

That is a self polled 115 volt motor, not polarity sensitive, but it's current draw might have exceeded the driver rating. Old one drew .17 amp. Either that, or you might have temporarily shorted the leads

If I shorted the leads what part would most likely cut off power to compressor and fan. The start relay and overload have continuity across poles if thats any test?
richappy  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 12:20:36 PM(UTC)
richappy

There are no electronics in this fridg. , maybe it went in defrost. Either that, or you pulled a wire loose.
pflorian  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2012 7:11:21 AM(UTC)
pflorian

No loose wires. I removed the fan that was drawing .4 amps, too fast and wrong direction. I'm awaiting new fan I ordered from Appliance part Pros.
However my meter shows no power to fan wires, compressor start relay, just up to unit harness. I clicked on defrost cycle with turn screw, turned unit on and off a few times, no compressor kick on.
I'm guessing it's something attached to the upper contol harness cutting off the juice? Any ideas appreciated.
pflorian  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2012 7:14:44 AM(UTC)
pflorian

No loose wires. I removed the fan that was drawing .4 amps, too fast and wrong direction. I'm awaiting new fan I ordered from Appliance part Pros.
However my meter shows no power to fan wires, compressor start relay, just up to unit harness. I clicked on defrost cycle with turn screw, turned unit on and off a few times, no compressor kick on.
I'm guessing it's something attached to the upper contol harness cutting off the juice? Any ideas appreciated.
richappy  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:43:35 AM(UTC)
richappy

Unpug and plug in the power connector, a pin may have pulled out, or arked open.
If the freezer fan also is not working, turn the cold control back and forth, maybe it jamed open. You can allways spray it with non-residue contact cleaner available at Wall Mart.
pflorian  
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2012 6:00:34 PM(UTC)
pflorian

Unpug and plug in the power connector, a pin may have pulled out, or arked open.
If the freezer fan also is not working, turn the cold control back and forth, maybe it jamed open. You can allways spray it with non-residue contact cleaner available at Wall Mart.

Thanks Rich,
you were right the temp control was jammed I ended up slapping the dickens out of the front knob and everything... freezer fan, compressor kicked on. I've got a box fan blowing on the system till my new fan comes in. I appreciate the help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply