Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
blmer  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2012 4:56:37 PM(UTC)
blmer

Groups: Registered

Hello everyone,

Just wondering about possible repair of my Hotpoint refrigerator - see above.

Just today we noticed that the refrigerator and freezer are not cooling at all.

I'm not sure if it's related, but for the last several weeks the ice and water dispensers were working erratically. They would dispense only intermittently, but we could get ice or water after a few repeated tries. The dispenser light was the same way, it would only turn on at normal brightness when the dispensers would actually run, otherwise it would be dim. I had assumed this was a switch because of their intermittent operation and was going to get it fixed after the holidays.

Last night the dispensers quit working altogether, no matter how many times they were tried. Then, this morning I noticed that the refrigerator/freezer were not cooling at all. The lights are functioning. It's been warming up steadily (until I got some ice and dry ice) and I haven't noticed it running at all. We did turn the thermostats up several notches, with no apparent effect.

I wonder what we might be looking at for a cause, and potential repairs. If it's probably a minor repair, such as an internal circuit breaker or thermostat/switch, we would probably go ahead and have it repaired. Otherwise, since we'd been thinking of new appliances anyway, we'd probably just replace it. But, unless it is a huge repair, we might go ahead with the repairs and hang on to it for my son who's looking at buying a house this spring.

I'd appreciate any advice you all might have.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

blmer  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2012 7:50:36 PM(UTC)
blmer

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update.

After posting I read farther down about another refrigerator that had stopped working. After reading that post I unplugged my refrigerator and plugged it back in, after a wait. It's started running again and is cooling.

If this means that a main circuit board is going out, is this an expensive repair?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2012 2:44:36 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
It may have hung up in defrost usually due to an off value evaporator thermistor, a long, round, white thing clipped to the top of the evaporator.
It's also possable the motherboard AP4436216 is bad.
If the freezer fan is still turning,I would replace the motherboard, if not the thermistor.
blmer  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2012 3:30:16 PM(UTC)
blmer

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your reply richappy.

So far, after unplugged it and plugged it back in, both the refrigerator and freezer have been running normally and have cooled off normally (apparently). Yesterday before I posted there was no indication it was running at all, although the lights were operating normally. The ice and water dispensers are operating again, but erratically, as before. Yesterday they also would not operate at all.

I'm still assuming we'll need to get it fixed, or replaced, in short order. Would you have any idea whether either of the things you mention would be major (i.e. costly - on par with replacing the compressor for example? ) repairs, or would they be considered relatively minor?

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the advice.
richappy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2012 1:39:56 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would replace the motherboard and the evaporator thermistor if you want the fridg to operate reliably.
blmer  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2012 8:43:48 PM(UTC)
blmer

Hello,

Thanks richappy. The refrigerator went down again Tuesday, and back up after being unplugged and replugged. So we had a serviceman out on Wednesday who confirmed it was the control board. We had it replaced and now all is working normally.

Thank you for the advice
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply