Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Whirlpool_fridge  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2011 6:43:13 PM(UTC)
Whirlpool_fridge

Groups: Registered

I have this strange problem with my refrigerator that I purchased it back in 2005. Since then, I moved from west coast to east coast last year. Now I am having this weird problem that the refrigerator will be working fine for sometime and then stops cooling (usually in the mornings). Initially I thought it was the condenser coil being dirty and cleaned it up and I left it turned off for 24 hours and plugged it back in. It was cooling fine for a day and then it starts acting up again. I am not sure whether it's a compressor issue or something else but here are some more info:
- When the compressor isn't running, if I open the freezer (it's a top freezer model) and tap on the bottom part of the freezer, the compressor starts running and cooling well; and after some time it stops and doesn't start running automatically again.
- It happens EVERYTIME I do that (i.e. tapping to get the compressor running) which leads me to think whether it could be something other than the compressor.

How do I go about troubleshooting and fixing this issue. I really appreciate any expert advice on this.
Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:33:58 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL ER2CHMXPL00 REFRIGERATOR | AppliancePartsPros.com

You have 2 parts that could cause this in the control console.
The thermostat (Item 13 in section 3). This one would be at the top of the list.
Next time it happens instead of tapping turn the temperature knob back and forth (not to off). If it fires up then I would replace the thermostat it is sticking open intermittently

The defrost timer (Item 4 in Section 3) can also cause this.
To check this turn the defrost cam to see if it fires up. There is usually a hole in the cover to let you do this without having to take it apart. The cam only turns in one direction.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Whirlpool_fridge  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2011 6:39:43 PM(UTC)
Whirlpool_fridge

Thank you denman for the prompt response. I have tried out your first suggestion by turning the temperature knob back and forth and I think you are correct and it seems to do the trick. Firstly, I am going to replace the thermostat and see if the problem persist before going with your second suggestion.
Thank you so much once again and I will update this thread once I fix this issue and run it for a while.
Happy and a prosperous New Year to you and yours!
Whirlpool_fridge  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:13:04 PM(UTC)
Whirlpool_fridge

Hi denman,
This is an update. I purchased a new Thermostat and I received it yesterday and installed it last night. Now the refrigerator seems to be working fine for the last 24 hours and cooling well without any tappings. Thank you for your expert advice and I really appreciate it. I will update this thread once again this weekend to notify the progress.
Thanks again!
Whirlpool_fridge  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2012 6:26:11 PM(UTC)
Whirlpool_fridge

Update: After 48 hours of installing the new thermostat, the refrigerator is working just fine.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply