Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Phil69  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2011 3:51:49 PM(UTC)
Phil69

Groups: Registered

The dishwasher is new (6 Months old). During this time, the tub has overflowed 6-7 times. This happens, intermittently, when water is running in the sink. It may not occur for several weeks during which sink and dishwasher run fine together.

Usually we just see the water rise in the tub (and overflow) when using sink and dishwasher is not running. But it has also happened 1-2 times while the dishwasher was running AND we were washing dishes in sink at same time (leaked out through closed door).

Running the dishwasher clears all water from the tub, then using sink no longer runs water into the dishwasher.

Drain hose from dishwasher to sink drain has a loop up to sink top. Dishwasher connection to U is at about same level as bottom of connection out of U to drain line.

Plumber claims its the machine, appliance repair claims its the installation. I want to make it work. Advice much appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2011 5:42:50 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Dishwasher connection to U is at about same level as bottom of connection out of U to drain line.
Sorry but I do not understand the above.

Here is a good install sheet that should also apply to your unit.
http://products.geappliances.com/MarketingObjectRetrieval/Dispatcher?RequestType=PDF&Name=31-30515.pdf

Has the U trap been checked, it could be partially clogged.

If the sink is far from the vent stack you may have to add an air gap to the dishwasher drain hose. This will not only help prevent back flow into the dishwasher, it will let air into the drain so that your sink should empty faster.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Phil69  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2011 3:30:46 PM(UTC)
Phil69

Groups: Registered

Thanks Denman for your quick response.

>
Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Dishwasher connection to U is at about same >level as bottom of connection out of U to drain line.
>Sorry but I do not understand the above.

I double checked this. The dishwasher drain hose is actually connected almost an inch below the level of the top of the U trap. Whereas the Frigidaire instruction sheet (see Figure 5 in attached) says "entry must be above trap".

>Here is a good install sheet that should also apply to your unit.
>http://products.geapplia...DF&Name=31-30515.pdf

Thanks for the install sheet. The Frigidaire sheet does not mention minimum heights. However, my drain tee is 16" above the floor, not the 18" minimum required by the GE manual. The drain hose does go up to 32" as required. Interestingly my drain hose goes down to the floor between the drain tee and the top of the loop, so it always has water in it. Could that be a problem?

>Has the U trap been checked, it could be partially clogged.
Yes, I checked, it's clear.

>If the sink is far from the vent stack you may have to add an air gap to >the dishwasher drain hose. This will not only help prevent back flow into >the dishwasher, it will let air into the drain so that your sink should >empty faster.

This is a rehab apartment in an old (built in 1900) New York City apartment building, so I don't know how far the sink drain is from the vent stack, could be 2 feet, maybe 12 feet. Also the counter is stone with no holes for air gap.
File Attachment(s):
Installation Instructions 154427301B.pdf (603kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
denman  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2012 2:24:14 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Whereas the Frigidaire instruction sheet (see Figure 5 in attached) says "entry must be above trap".
Interestingly my drain hose goes down to the floor between the drain tee and the top of the loop, so it always has water in it. Could that be a problem?[/COLOR]
The reason for above the trap is that sewer gas could come out of the drain into your apartment.
So you will always have to set up the drain so that there is a trap (water filled section) in the drain hose.
It should not cause any problems but is against the plumbing code.

Is the connection to the plumbing a TeeY or a 90 degree fitting?
And if it is a Y, is it facing down so that the dishwasher water is headed in the right direction when it hits the apartment plumbing?

You could get an air gap and mount it under the cabinet as high up as you can. Get a god one as you will not be able to see if it leaks.
I would probably mount a container under it just in case it does leak a little, then check this on a regular basis until you are sure it is OK.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply