Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
speedball  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 9:29:09 AM(UTC)
speedball

Groups: Registered

Unit wasn't getting cold enough. found that the motor/fan assy was barely turning replaced the control board, and now the fan is spinning fine, but the freezer is only going down to 6 degrees and the refrigerator is at 45 and will not get any colder regardless of temp setting. could the sensors be bad, too? or what should my next step be to troubleshoot? can't find a service manual for this model. any suggestions??
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 1:27:17 PM(UTC)
applianceman

[FONT='Times New Roman']Sometimes when the fan is not running or is running slow a thick layer of frost will build up on the top of the evaporator coils blocking airflow. If this is the case remove the frost and the problem will be fixed. Refrigerator Not Cooling Repair Guide[/FONT]
speedball  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 2:02:53 PM(UTC)
speedball

thanks for the tips. will look at the coils and see if there is ice build-up. hopefully that will solve the problem
speedball  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:13:07 PM(UTC)
speedball

There was ice build-up. took a heat gun and melted the ice. both the freezer and refrig got cool for a while but temp rose up again. still can hear the fans running and can feel the air circulating. picked up 2 temp sensors, and will replace them tonight and hope that does the trick. any other things I should check, before I have to make a call to the service center? the tech wanted $75.00 to come out and "defrost" the unit with no guarantees that it would do the trick
applianceman  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:21:39 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Was the ice build up all over the coils just part of the coils?

Was the ice build up enough to block airflow?

When it stopped working for the second time was ice built up again?

Let me know and I will help you as much as possible.
speedball  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:52:44 AM(UTC)
speedball

My daughter called a service tech, since she didn't want to wait for me to get to her place to fix the refrig. the service tech defrosted the ice from the coils, but when I looked at them, I found the temp sensor was surrounded by ice. seems that the service tech melted all the ice from the coils, except for the ice that the sensor was surrounded by. plus it looks like the service tech tie wrapped the sensor to the top of the evaporator, since the tie wrap wasn't cut or trimmed. Now both the freezer and refrig are around 50 degrees. Is there a certain place that the temp sensor is supposed to be mounted to on this model? I was going to replace the sensor, but should I just splice it into the existing wires that are there or shound I feed the wires thru the unit's rear panel and connect the wires directly to the connector?
speedball  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 11:07:20 AM(UTC)
speedball

here's an update on this unit. displayed temp of freezer is 47, displayed temp of refrigerator section is 57. has airflow circulation in freezer compartment, so temp is getting cooler but not cold enough in either compartment.
applianceman  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:07:04 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Give it some time the service tech had the doors open and it wasn’t cooling to start with. However did he just melt the ice and say it’s fixed? Or did he say anything about changing a part? Using a tie to put the sensor on the evaporator is ok most of the time it is held on with a metal clip. All the ice needs to be removed if he left some remove it.
speedball  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:31:27 PM(UTC)
speedball

he just melted the ice build-up and said that it was fixed.didn't say that it could be other problems
speedball  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:34:07 PM(UTC)
speedball

when I got there, the temp of the fridge and freezer were 65. I removed the back panel in the freezer and melted the remaining ice. let it run overnight. called my daughter and now the temp of the freezer is 47 and the refridge is 57
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply