Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FPWD  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 11:03:03 AM(UTC)
FPWD

Groups: Registered

Hi Gene,
I have a Maytag Gemini Eletric Range Model #MER6770AAC Serial #11703366U and I'm getting an F1-2 code.
Everything I read says that it means a "runaway cook lower oven" and can either be one of the two thermostats
or the touchpad. I have tried shutting of the breaker for 5-10 minutes but that doesn't fix the problem.
I have a number of questions. First, in the sheet that says "IMPORTANT Technicians Use Only" there is no F1-2
error code,. They have F1-1 & F1-3 AND F2-2. Is the F2-2 a misprint (it says runaway cook lower oven).
Second, assuming that my F1-2 code is a runaway cook lower oven where would you start looking for the
problem? With the two thermostats? If so, what is the resistance (I assume that's how I would check them)? If
not do I check the board? How and is there a diagram of what it looks like?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

Charles
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Dan O.  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 11:56:43 AM(UTC)
Dan O.

Groups: Senior Expert

Charles, could you have chosen a smaller font for your message? :eek:

Quote:
getting an F1-2 code. Everything I read says that it means a "runaway cook lower oven"

That is what the control 'thinks' is occurring, yes. Is that oven overheating??

Quote:
and can either be one of the two thermostats or the touchpad.

That fault code could be caused by the oven actually overheating, by the control being fed incorrect temperature data by the oven temperature sensor and/or its wiring or the control misinterpreting the temperature data it is receiving (ie. defective control).

Quote:
where would you start looking for the problem?

If it WAS overheating, with the control looking for a shorted relay for the element(s) staying on. Next with the oven temperature sensor.

LINK > MER6770AAC Electronic Control

If it was NOT actually overheating when the fault code displayed, starting with the oven temperature sensor and its wiring circuit would likely be the course of action most technicians would follow.

LINK > MER6770AAC Oven Temperature Sensor

LINK > How do I check an oven temperature sensor?

JMO

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
FPWD  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 5:54:29 AM(UTC)
FPWD

HI Dan,
Sorry, about the font to me it looks small. How is this? Thanks for the quick reply. No, the lower oven is definitely not overheating. I started with the sensor by turning on the oven to get the error message, however, I did it quickly and by mistake I turned on the upper oven (duh!). After about 20 minutes the code (F1-2) came on. ??????? How can it throw that code with the lower oven off? Does that point more to the membrane panel?
Thanks, Charles
FPWD  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 6:14:25 AM(UTC)
FPWD

Dan,
As a quick follow up to my note, after shutting off the code alarm a1/2 hour later it started beeping again. Membrane panel still warm from the upper oven?
Dan O.  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 1:49:42 PM(UTC)
Dan O.

Quote:
Does that point more to the membrane panel?

I never said that was a possibility in any case. It would be the electronic control circuit board that would be suspect if the oven was not overheating. I don't think a failed sensor would produce that error if the oven was not in use at the time... but might still be a possibility.

JMO

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
FPWD  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 3:12:52 PM(UTC)
FPWD

Hi Dan,
OK, I'm sorry but now i'm confused. What would you check first? Would you still check the sensor? The control board? (how is that checked?)
Thanks,
Charles
Dan O.  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:02:17 PM(UTC)
Dan O.

Quote:
Would you still check the sensor?

Definitely. While there's only a slim chance it is the cause it is one of the only things that can actually be checked for your possible error message.

Quote:
how is the [control board] checked?

It can't be AFAIK. Its failure is usually just assumed once any other possibilities are ruled out.

JMO

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
FPWD  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:58:03 PM(UTC)
FPWD

Hi Dan,
Now I'm frustrated. I pulled the stove out and took off the back so that I would be able to check the resistance of the sensor since the only time it throws a code is when the oven is on and hot. Now I've had both ovens on together and seaprately, and no codes/alarms!
I did check resistance at the different temps on both sensors as the ovens cooled down from 450 and they both matched specs. So any ideas or do I just go and buy a electronic control?
Dan O.  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 8:38:04 PM(UTC)
Dan O.

Quote:
Now I've had both ovens on together and separately, and no codes/alarms!

That's often the way. Isn't appliance service wonderful? :rolleyes:

Quote:
So any ideas or do I just go and buy a electronic control?

I'm afraid I do not have any other ideas as to the cause, sorry.

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
FPWD  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 5:22:35 AM(UTC)
FPWD

Here's the topper! We have continued to use both ovens for actual food prep and no codes/alarms. So rather than spend $240+ maybe the fix is to just pull the range out take off the back, put it back and push the range back in. :) I can do that say once a month or so since I'm retired and have a limited income with plenty of time!:D :D Whadya think?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply