Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bwalker  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:30:50 AM(UTC)
bwalker

Groups: Registered

Hello,
I have a Whirlpool Electric Range (above model #), purchased in 2009. Last night the cooktop indicator on light will not go off. I turned all the burners on and they got hot, and turned them off and they cooled and the hot surface indicator light went out. But the Cooktop On light stayed on. I unplugged the unit for over 5 minutes and the when plugged in, the cooktop on light came back on instantly.
I am not sure and could use some assistance on this, but each switch has it's own connection to the control unit. How do I identify which switch is bad?
If this diagnoses is wrong, I would really appreciate some assistance.
Thanks for any help!
Regards
bwalker
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2011 1:07:41 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for RF265LXTQ-3 models | AppliancePartsPros.com

Easiest way to find it is to unplug the unit and then the Violet wire going to a switch. Tape it so it cannot short to anything. Then plug the unit in and see if the light stays off.
If not move on to the next switch and try the same procedure.
Be sure to unplug the unit when working on it!!!

You could also use a meter on the most sensitive ohms scale and measure S1 to P and in one case S1 to S2 on the switches to see which one is closed (0 ohms) when it should be open at room temperature.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
bwalker  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:49:33 AM(UTC)
bwalker

Hello denman,
That is exactly what I needed. Thank you for your experienced assistance and your time!
Regards,
bwalker
Tim-in-NC  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 12:28:05 PM(UTC)
Tim-in-NC

Hi Denman,

I read this post/thread with enthusiasm as I have a similar issue.

I have a GE Profile radiant cooktop (Model No. JP345 2S2WG - Serial No. SL742063R).

We had a spillover and liquid got in the control area. The issue first appeared when the “Unit On" indicator light (not the "Surface Hot" indicator light) was dimly glowing even through all the burners were off. If I cut a burner on the "Unit On" light turned brighter as it normally would be when a burner was on.

I opened the cooktop up and saw liquid was under the switch panel so I dried it out (towels & fan). After reassembly, the glow on the "Unit On" light was initially off but later came back on.

I read your post and then I tried what you said about unplugging the violet wire on all 4 of the switches. I tried it switch by switch. After removing the wire from the first one (switch still glowing) I put the wire back on switch 1 and then removed the violet wire from switch 2 to isolate each switch.

I ran thru all four switches and the "Unit On' light stayed dimly glowing through all four violet wire removals.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
denman  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 11:13:12 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
All I can suggest is that you shut the power off and open it up again.

Let it dry out for a longer time.

Could be that there is still moisture in the unit that is completing the circuit.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Tim-in-NC  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2016 2:38:29 PM(UTC)
Tim-in-NC

Its been open for days so I don't think that's it. I tried replacing the light bulb (in case it was shorting out some how) but exact same issue. Any other ideas? Thanks
cooking oin Indy  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2018 4:22:19 PM(UTC)
cooking oin Indy

I have a GE profile radiant cooktop, spilt BIG cup of tea and now ON light won't go off. How do I open the cooktop to dry it out?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply