Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
radarguy101  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:33:18 PM(UTC)
radarguy101

Groups: Registered

My Whirlpool of 20+ years stopped cooling the other night. I figured it was due for a new 3 n 1 starter kit since it has already had one. Replaced that but still no cool. I should have checked the voltage before I bought it but didn't. A lesson for others. So no voltage led me to the timer. It checked out OK but was stopped in defrost. Motor runs fine with power applied and I checked the points and they were fine. So now I had to find out why I wasn't getting voltage and that led me to the defrost thermostat in the freezer section. It was open but at the time I did not understand how it was configured to turn on and off. I took it to our appliance parts house and the sales guy hit it with some freon and checked the continuity and it was shorted like its supposed to be so he said it must be the timer. I did not buy either and came home to experiment. I put everything back together and all is well except that it will not come out of defrost. The timer is just on the hairy edge and if I tickle it (not turn it) the compressor tries to come on until I turn it one little click. I think that the hysteresis of the defrost thermostat has degraded. It is supposed to open at 50°F and close at 25°F. I think it is opening at much below 50°F.
Does anyone else have any thoughts?
Thanks,
Russell
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.