Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CroisanMountain  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2007 10:49:50 AM(UTC)
CroisanMountain

Groups: Registered

My Frigidaire, model FRS28ZGEW!, is not making ice. The water in the door flows very slowly. The icemaker used to make hollow ice and now makes none at all. I did work on the water main last summer to add a shut off valve so it is possible a bit of dirt or clay got in the line and traveled to the fridge. I'm pretty handy if I know what to do. I appreciate your advice.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:10:47 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Most likely the problem is the old water filter which is got clogged, causing restriction to water flow.

- The part number for the water filter AP2591529

Gene.
CroisanMountain  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2007 3:29:51 PM(UTC)
CroisanMountain

Gene, I replaced the filter long ago. That didn't work.
I read your reply to the kitchenaid icemaker water not pumping. So I took a look at the water valve (AP2114949).

I disconnected the incoming water line to the valve and checked it. The water flowed strongly as you would expect.

I put it back on and then took off the water output lines. My helper put a cup in the door to pour water. It activated the valve and water only trickled out of the water valve. Given that, it appears the water valve is failing.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2007 3:36:51 PM(UTC)
Gene

In such case, most likely the problem is the water valve.

Replace it and post the result, please.

Gene.
CroisanMountain  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2007 4:02:44 PM(UTC)
CroisanMountain

Ok, I'll let you know how it goes
CroisanMountain  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2007 9:03:43 AM(UTC)
CroisanMountain

Gene, I replaced the water inlet valve with water strainer. Now water vigoursly exits the water valve so that is an improvement but... After we got the air out of the line, water did gush out fast for a moment and then back to a trickle. So I replaced the filter again. I heard the water fill a resouvor a the top of the fridge. When inserting a cup, water ran vigously into the cup again for a moment and then it went back to a trickle.

The ice maker is not calling for water yet. It appears to be more than one problem but the new valve definately helped.
UPDATE==============
I removed the filter and placed a cup below the open filter. I called for water in the door and it came out of the filter assembly vigorously. So it's clear the water slows down to the door from the filter forward.

Also, the icemaker water input tube was frozen solid. I took it out from the back of the fridge and ran warm water through to clear it. However it still is not calling for water.

Back to the brand new filter, I tried blowing and sucking on the new filter and it's difficult to get air through it. I had purchased a batch of 8 filters and have 5 left but I'm leary about opening them all up. I still need help!
CroisanMountain  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2007 12:50:21 PM(UTC)
CroisanMountain

Gene. It now works! There are two water valves in the Refrigerator. (located in the back, about 3 inches above the floor. One on each side.) Both needed to be replaced. Once I did that, the water ran freely at the door. It wasn't the filter at all. I did sand the contacts on the existing water valve and my ice maker started making ice again, so apparently the water feed side of the water valve was not working. There is a yellow and a green electromagnet that operates each valve. On the second valve, green feeds the icemaker and yellow feeds the water.
Gene  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2007 5:04:13 PM(UTC)
Gene

I'm glad you were able to fix it.

Merry Christmas!

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply