Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
boolabonga  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2011 4:27:19 AM(UTC)
boolabonga

Groups: Registered

I have a 6 year old Kitchenaid side-by-side built in, model KSS048FMX01. The freezer is perfectly cold but the refrigerator is cooling inconsistently. The refrig seems to stay in the range of 44-50 degrees. This has been going on for a couple of months. I cleaned the coils one day to see if that would help. Ironically, that night the refrig got down to 34, but it just went back up several days later. Last week we had a little power surge during the hurriance and both the fridge and freezer stopped cooling entirely. I called a technician and he came out yesterday and diagnosed it as a bad inverter and replaced it(after checking ohms? on compressor). Since turning the unit back on yesterday, again the freezer seems fine (at -5 degrees) but the fridge hasn't cooled below 44 degrees, even though I had the max cool button on all night. Since turning the unit back on we haven't put any food in the fridge. The fans seems to be working, i.e., there is cold air entering the fridge. Would appreciate any help in diagnosing issue to avoid another expensive service call.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2011 7:03:54 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: boolabonga Go to Quoted Post
I have a 6 year old Kitchenaid side-by-side built in, model KSS048FMX01. The freezer is perfectly cold but the refrigerator is cooling inconsistently. The refrig seems to stay in the range of 44-50 degrees. This has been going on for a couple of months. I cleaned the coils one day to see if that would help. Ironically, that night the refrig got down to 34, but it just went back up several days later. Last week we had a little power surge during the hurriance and both the fridge and freezer stopped cooling entirely. I called a technician and he came out yesterday and diagnosed it as a bad inverter and replaced it(after checking ohms? on compressor). Since turning the unit back on yesterday, again the freezer seems fine (at -5 degrees) but the fridge hasn't cooled below 44 degrees, even though I had the max cool button on all night. Since turning the unit back on we haven't put any food in the fridge. The fans seems to be working, i.e., there is cold air entering the fridge. Would appreciate any help in diagnosing issue to avoid another expensive service call.

Boolabonga,
Your next check based on your description, would be the frsh food thermistor

Part number: AP3903565
Part number: AP3903565

Or the air baffle/auto damper

Part number: AP3174991
Part number: AP3174991

The baffle allows air into the freshfodd compartment, by opening and closing, and the thermistor senses the temperature and tells the air damper to open and close.

Here's some help if you need it :

1. Unplug refrigerator or disconnect power. 2. Open the refrigerator door and remove the items from the top shelf. If necessary,remove the top shelf so you can easily access the touch control assembly or the motorized air door.

3. To remove the touch and display boards: a) Remove the three hex-head screws from the back of the touch control assembly and lower the assembly.
b) Disconnect the two wire connectors from the touch control assembly and
remove the assembly from the refrigerator. c) Remove the two screws from the plastic cover and remove the cover from the touch control panel. d) Disconnect the wire connector from the end of the display board. e) Unclip the touch board from the locking tabs and remove the board. 4. To remove the motorized air door: a) Remove the hex-head screws from the motorized air door cover and remove the cover. b) Pull the motorized air door out of the
refrigerator liner opening. c) Disconnect the wire connector from the motorized air door and remove it.

Good Luck,
:) :) :)

boolabonga  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 4, 2011 12:48:13 PM(UTC)
boolabonga

Groups: Registered

Joe, thanks for the recommendations. However, I noticed something else. The frame of the refrigerator where the 2 doors meeting is extremely hot, and there even appears to be brown mark(burn perhaps) on the upper portion of it. I took off the unit cover on top and noticed that the condenser fan does not appear to be running at all. I've watched the unit for about 20 minutes now and the compressor kicks on but the condenser fan isn't going on. Shouldn't the condenser fan be kicking on at some point? Could this be the cause of my refrigerator side not getting cool enough?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply