Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thatsthat9  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 27, 2011 9:38:34 PM(UTC)
thatsthat9

Groups: Registered

I thought i posted this already but i dont think i was logged in. last nigght my ice cubes started melting and everything in my freezer was unthawing. the refrig part was hardly cold. i unplugged it and got the dust out from under it plugged it back in an nothing. The warm temp light is on. all other lights are on. But i dont really hear anything running. dont see any ice build up or any thing going on at all just a very quite very uncold refrig. What do i do now ? please help me.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 28, 2011 4:19:38 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric TFX28PBBABB Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

First check if the compressor is running. You can usually hear it also you should be able to feel it vibrating and it should be warm.

Are the condenser fan and evaporator fan running?

If the compressor and the fans are not running, you may be stuck in a defrost cycle. Try rotating the defrost timer (Item 257 in Section 5) cam. There is usually a hole in the cover to let you do this.
If the unit fires up I would replace the timer.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
thatsthat9  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:46:26 PM(UTC)
thatsthat9

thank you for your quick response. just before i had read your reply i turned both of the adjust coldness knobs up to as high as they would go. And finally there was noise coming from my refrig. Then my ice maker started working. Then as the day went on i turned it down to the next # then by the next day every thing seemed fine so i turned it down to where i usually have it, about 1/2 way both frig and freezer. Two or more days have gone by, everything seemed fine til today i think it was starting to defrost my ice cubes so i tuned up the coldness knobs all the way again. At first i didnt hear any thing come on for a while. But i just heard it start to work again. i can hear the fan working again. But i looked inside the freezer and the ice is still melting. i think the compresser and fan are running. As far as the defrost timer unit i havent looked at it because im not really sure i understand where it says to look. Do i have to take out the refrig bottom drawers out?:confused: :confused:
denman  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2011 2:04:00 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="DarkRed"]i think the compresser and fan are running.[/COLOR]
Sorry but just thinking it is not good enough, you have to know for sure.
If not you could end up misdiagnosing the problem and you may end up scrapping a unit that in reality is fixable at a reasonable cost.

When the compressor is running you can usually hear it also it should be warm and vibrating.
If it is running and the unit is not cooling then you have a sealed system problem and that will be an expensive repair as you need a pro. Often it makes more sense to buy a new unit.
If you are stuck in a defrost cycle then both fans and the compressor will be off.
Note: Since this is a GE and I cannot get a wiring diagram the same symptoms may happen when the thermostat is open (unit is at set point temperature).

[COLOR="DarkRed"]
As far as the defrost timer unit i havent looked at it because im not really sure i understand where it says to look. Do i have to take out the refrig bottom drawers out?[/COLOR]
Looks like the defrost timer is in the fresh food section in the control console. There is usually a hole so you can adjust its cam without taking the console apart but I am not 100 % sure on this.

Also when the unit warms up it will take some time to cool down again.

When it is running OK turn the thermostat down so the compressor shuts off with luck the evaporator (freezer) fan will keep running. Then at least you will know the difference between defrost and unit has reached set point.

From your description it sounds more like a thermostat problem than a defrost problem.
If you can get it working by turning the thermostat back and forth then odds are the thermostat is sticking open and needs replacing.

I am off to the lake today so will be unavailable for several days, following is a good site with fridge repair info.
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig.html
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
thatsthat9  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2011 2:22:14 PM(UTC)
thatsthat9

just want to say thank u for all of your knowledge and time with my questions. Thanks for the link to more help. I'M HOPING I WILL HAVE IT FIGURED OUT BY THE TIME U GET BACK. U have a wonderful weekend.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply