Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ibjessa  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2009 12:10:14 AM(UTC)
ibjessa

Groups: Registered

Hi Gurus!
Before I kill myself; I'd like to try and find the manual for my older S136 Jenn-Air range, does anyone have a link to this?

The plastic fan/oven light switch broke years ago, and I ordered what I *think* is the replacement switch. Before it arrived, I decided to give the whole stove a good cleaning. I took off the metal escutcheon by unscrewing two screws and threw it in the degreaser. The wiring connector from the old switch was just lying there completely detached. Idiotically, I picked up the plastic connector to look at it---POP!!! Giant short circuit that burned the metal of the stove edge. It didn't even occur to me to turn off the electricity, I thought I was just cleaning the thing!

Anyway, when the new switch arrives tomorrow, I'll have to figure out how to wire it--and I may have bigger fish to fry if the short circuit damaged anything else in the internal controls. Is there any way to see detailed information--like from a service manual for the s136? The diagrams in the orderings section were helpful, but difficult to see enough detail.

thanks!!
jessa
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2009 2:39:44 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
ibjessa  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2009 6:40:51 PM(UTC)
ibjessa

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the quick reply! I wasn't able to download the service manual from the link...is that site down for maintenance?

With the power off, I was able to fix the loose part of the latch assembly and found that when the original rocker switch broker (years ago) that the half containing the wiring just dropped down into the control panel. Luckily, I just connected the wires to the new switch and everything worked fine. (Well the fan worked, I don't know that oven light has a functional bulb and I'm not sure if it requires a special bulb or not).

Is there a special tool used to attach the rivet-like metal snaps to hold the rocker switch in place? In the end the only way I could attach them was by using some very friable refrigerator disc magnets. I put the 'rivet thing' on the post, the magnet on top, and then used regular pliers. The pliers would crush the magnet evenly around the rivet pushing it down into place. Unfortunately, once I got everything screwed back in place I noticed that the switch was mounted so that clicking it toward the light symbol turned on the fan. C'est la vie. There is no way I could get those rivets off again, and I don't have any spares (or another 40 minutes to fiddle with them!)

All in all the project was a success. After a days work I've replaced the broken rocker switch, replaced the grill/griddle and older solid core burners with new Ceran glass top burners, replaced the broken oven glass and added a new oven door gasket. This 15+ year old stove looks brand new!

thanks for your help!
jessa
denman  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2009 11:32:32 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Yes the site was down yesterday.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply