Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cottonbroker  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:42:54 PM(UTC)
cottonbroker

Groups: Registered

My glass top oven quit working after I saw a flash under the glass in the back left corner. The range burners work but the oven won't heat up. A little of the insulation in hte back looks dark but i haven't opened it up that far yet. I wanted a little advice before I dove into it.

Any ideas. My breaker went out also.

Dave
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

TechnicianBrian  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:49:38 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Groups: Senior Expert

It's possible something literally blew up on the control panel. You may want to start with removing the rear panel and see if you can find any obvious damage. Also, please recheck your model number as it is not coming up as valid so we can better assist you with your problem.
cottonbroker  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:25:38 AM(UTC)
cottonbroker

I've taken the back panel off but there wasn't much to see back there. I'm going ot have to go deeper once I gather some info on what to look for. Like I said there was a little burnt looing yellow fiberglass insulation near where the flash happened so you're probably on the right track hopefully a new part isn't going to cost as much as the stove itself.

Any idea what part might have blown? I copied the model number right from the front lower panel. I couldn't find my receipt fromt eh purchase but I figured the model number from the front would have worked.

dave
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:35:43 AM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Just some info
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for FRG FEF379ACH | AppliancePartsPros.com

Unfortunately this site is not very forgiving when doing searches for Model Numbers that include spaces, dashes, dots etc.

Here is a wiring diagram
http://ftp.electrolux-na.com/PD....pdf&model=FEF379ACH

And a tech sheet
http://ftp.electrolux-na.com/PD....pdf&model=FEF379ACH
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
cottonbroker  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 7:55:37 AM(UTC)
cottonbroker

I'm not the best at following the wireing diagrams but It will be helpful. It would be nice if the could seperate the parts that are for the range top and for the oven so that if one goes out then you have half as many items to look at.

The flash happend between the Back left burner and the the warming burner or more behind the back left burner.

I think I could fix it if I just locate it, i'm normally ok on the handy side but obviously you uhave to know what you're looking at. Its obviously and electrical issue that has to do with the oven so we can focus it down to that.
TechnicianBrian  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:56:25 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

To start with, identify what works and what doesn't, that way we can isolate the problem. Try all the elements and verify they turn on and off, along with the hot surface and element on lights. Test the oven light using the switch and opening the door. Verify if the clock works and even try broil and self clean to see if anything happens. From that information, we can narrow down your search.
cottonbroker  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:15:18 PM(UTC)
cottonbroker

I'll run through all the items to see what is working and what does not.
cottonbroker  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2009 7:37:50 AM(UTC)
cottonbroker

I finally got back to this and i read more on your website tips. The oven doesn't seem to heat at all and the range and clock work fine. I took it apart again lastnight and the upper element had burnt insulation ut the bottom did not. The light looked burnt but that could have been oven residue. I ordered the upper element.

Is it common that the light and upper element could be on the same line or have some type of relationship. Also I apprecitated the note on the infinite switch. I may need that next if the element doesn't fix it. I love doing these things and learning so I can help others if it ever happens to them.
denman  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2009 8:37:41 AM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
By burnt insulation do you mean the coating on the element itself OR the insulating blanket (fiberglass) which insulates the oven cavity.

The upper element is the broil, the lower is the bake.

If the broil element is toast (an open circuit), you should still get heat from the bake element so I do not think this will fix your problem.

PS Since you enjoy this type of stuff!!
The below would have allowed you to measure the broil element to see if it was shot.

I would suggest you purchase a meter. You can get a decent digital multimeter for under $20.00. You do not need fancy though it is nice if the leads are a couple feet long.
If it saves ordering one unnecessary part it has paid for itself and you end up owning a useful tool.
Most places will not let you return electrical parts so if you order it, you own it.
A couple things to watch when measuring ohms and continuity
1. Always remove power from the machine otherwise you could blow your meter.
2. Always disconnect at least one side of any device you are checking. This eliminates the possibility of measuring an alternate/parallel circuit path.
3. When checking for closed contacts and continuity use the lowest scale (Usually 200 ohms). Then try higher scales. This scale is 0 to 200 ohms so if the device you are measuring is 300 ohms this scale would show an open circuit which it is not, you are just measuring outside the scale's dynamic range.

There is a good STICKY at the start of this forum about it's use.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
cottonbroker  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 7:02:43 AM(UTC)
cottonbroker

Everything on the oven works except the oven elements. Range burners work, light works, fan works. Still no heat. as for check continuity that's something I need to learn and I'm sure someone who knows how to do it thinks it's easy but I need to learn those things by seeing soemone else do them and explaining it.

Anyway as I repeatedly look over the back of my oven and the wiring i keep thinking now that it must be one of the little black boxes on the back of the clock circuit board. I'm not sure if cicuit bord is the right term but all the parts catalogs just call that thing "CLOCK" even though it contians the eleictrical for the oven controls. I don't see any errors coming up either. I tried Broil and bake again lastnight and I got nothing. After looking at the elements and insulation closer i think they are fine. The dark must be from smokeand grease trying to escape the oven because it's on every whole higher up in the oven. Making since becasue heat rises and carrys the smoke up.

I'm surprised this isn't a more common occurance with a common fix.

Thanks for all your help I'm getting a little desperate now.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply