Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hfong@imiinc.com  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:05:41 PM(UTC)
hfong@imiinc.com

Groups: Registered

This is a side-by-side fridge. The exterior freezer door has 3 dispensers:
cubed ice, crushed ice, and water. The crushed ice dispenser no longer dispenses any ice. The motor works but the augar blades inside the in-door-ice container doesn't always rotate. It's not strong enough to crush the ice cubes. I believe the metal threads are either stripped or the augar blades that sit on top of the rotating motor is loose. Therefore the blades cannot crush the ice. I'm thinking to resolve this is to simply replace the "in-door-ice container. This contains the ice bin plus the bottom base that contains the augar blades. What does the forum suggest? Thx
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:01:59 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hfong@imiinc.com Go to Quoted Post
This is a side-by-side fridge. The exterior freezer door has 3 dispensers:
cubed ice, crushed ice, and water. The crushed ice dispenser no longer dispenses any ice. The motor works but the augar blades inside the in-door-ice container doesn't always rotate. It's not strong enough to crush the ice cubes. I believe the metal threads are either stripped or the augar blades that sit on top of the rotating motor is loose. Therefore the blades cannot crush the ice. I'm thinking to resolve this is to simply replace the "in-door-ice container. This contains the ice bin plus the bottom base that contains the augar blades. What does the forum suggest? Thx

Fong,

That's a good place to start, but, I don't think it will solve the problem.

"Crushed ice is delivered by turning the motor
in a clockwise direction, and cubed ice is delivered
when the motor turns in a counterclockwise

direction."

You need to check and make sure that the auger motor reverses direction(as above). You could have a problem in the crushed ice switch, wiring or auger motor.

Thanks,

:cool: :cool: :cool:
hfong@imiinc.com  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:22:50 AM(UTC)
hfong@imiinc.com

Hi Joe, thanks for responding. Yes, the auger motor does reverse. However, when it's set for crushed, I can see the motor hesitate like there's not enough power or something is loose. That's why I thought the threads are semi-stripped (underneath where the motor coupling gets turned). The auger motor stops/goes even when there are NO ice cubes in the bin. So you can imagine when there ARE ice cubes, there's no way the blades can crush them. Not enough power.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 11:23:59 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Hi Joe, thanks for responding. Yes, the auger motor does reverse. However, when it's set for crushed, I can see the motor hesitate like there's not enough power or something is loose. That's why I thought the threads are semi-stripped (underneath where the motor coupling gets turned). The auger motor stops/goes even when there are NO ice cubes in the bin. So you can imagine when there ARE ice cubes, there's no way the blades can crush them. Not enough power.

Fong,

I'm sure you checked and made sure the ice bin is snapped down and locked in place on the door assembly. What about the drive shaft and coupling, it should be spring loaded( you can push down on the coupler, and it should spring back into position).

If the motor is reversing direction, but stalls or hangs up in the crushed direction, I would have to think you have a loose connection or a weak winding in the auger motor.

Part number: AP4434793
Part number: AP4434793

You should be able to turn the bin coupling on the bottom of the bin, in both directions, and see if the auger hangs up or gets stuck when it's turned in the crushed ice direction, that will confirm if the chopper blades are out of alignment, or there is a damaged, distorted part in the bin assembly/mechanism.

hfong@imiinc.com  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:43:57 PM(UTC)
hfong@imiinc.com

Joe,

I think the ice bin is snapped down and locked in place on the door assembly. I tried several different times to push the bin down harder but it doesn't really snap in or make a click sound. When I look at it very closely it's not quite flush and even all the way around. Although I cannot lift it back off without pressing in the release button on the side. As you know if the bin is not set down properly, then the part underneath that fits inside the auger blade assembly cannot continue keeping the blades rotating. It'll slip off and on as it turns. Thus the stop and go symptom I'm seeing? I'm not clear on what you said about the drive shaft and coupling being spring loaded. Where exactly is this coupling? You asked me to consider replacing the "dispenser, motor". What about replacing the "ice bucket assembly" which should include the auger blades. Thx
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:44:21 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe,

I think the ice bin is snapped down and locked in place on the door assembly. I tried several different times to push the bin down harder but it doesn't really snap in or make a click sound. When I look at it very closely it's not quite flush and even all the way around. Although I cannot lift it back off without pressing in the release button on the side. As you know if the bin is not set down properly, then the part underneath that fits inside the auger blade assembly cannot continue keeping the blades rotating. It'll slip off and on as it turns. Thus the stop and go symptom I'm seeing? I'm not clear on what you said about the drive shaft and coupling being spring loaded. Where exactly is this coupling? You asked me to consider replacing the "dispenser, motor". What about replacing the "ice bucket assembly" which should include the auger blades. Thx

Fong,

Here is the APP part number for the crusher bin assembly,

Part number: AP4409944
Part number: AP4409944

If the problem persists, drop us a line , and we'll go from there.

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
hfong@imiinc.com  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2011 9:34:24 AM(UTC)
hfong@imiinc.com

Hi Joe, the part no. you gave me is just the crusher bin according to a parts web site. It doesn't seem to include the auger blades. Just the bin, unless I'm mistaken. How about part No. AP3873956? I did what you suggested ("You should be able to turn the bin coupling on the bottom of the bin, in both directions.") The auger blades turn freely without any hesitation, both directions. I think where the coupling sits on top of the motor turning shaft is where the problem is. Either a "weak winding" in the motor or the threads are semi-stripped or the coupling is too loose that the shaft cannot continuously turn the blades. Thx
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2011 11:30:21 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Hi Joe, the part no. you gave me is just the crusher bin according to a parts web site. It doesn't seem to include the auger blades. Just the bin, unless I'm mistaken. How about part No. AP3873956? I did what you suggested ("You should be able to turn the bin coupling on the bottom of the bin, in both directions.") The auger blades turn freely without any hesitation, both directions. I think where the coupling sits on top of the motor turning shaft is where the problem is. Either a "weak winding" in the motor or the threads are semi-stripped or the coupling is too loose that the shaft cannot continuously turn the blades. Thx

Fong,

You may be correct, if you decide to order the bin assembly your part number, would be the best way to go.

That's where I'm trying to get you to, Your information and the ability to turn the auger shaft in both directions, easily, leads me to beleive, the problem is not in the bin assembly, but is more likely the coupler, or a weak winding in the motor and is more likely to be the coupler and or seal.

#9 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2023 11:11:57 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have a Frigidaire GLHS67EHSB6 that will not dispense crushed ice. The auger motor has been replaced, the motor hums when it tries to dispense crushed ice but will not turn. It works correctly for cubed ice. Any suggestions?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply