Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
little chuck  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 7:47:27 PM(UTC)
little chuck

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I have a GE Profile dishwasher model PDW9280. The right door hinge broke away from the side of the dishwasher tonight and now it is very difficult to open and close the door. I pulled out the dishwasher and saw that the hinge (which is now loose) was only tack welded to the side of the dishwasher. It is still attached to the door ok.

This was a fairly expensive model. My question is that if I have place a service call, will the technician be able to re-tack weld the hinge to the dishwasher? Or, do you think they will say to scrap it. It is only 2 years old.

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:32:23 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
No, they will not be able to weld it

Often frame parts are not available

Your best bet is probably to use bolts or metal self tap screws and remount the hinge.
Drill a minimum of 2 holes in the hinge. Make sure the bolts or screws you use just fit through these holes, so the hinge wi9ll not wiggle when installed.
Then hold it on the frame where it should go and mark the frame for the holes.
You then have to decide what is the best way to hold it to the frame.

Depending on how it is mounted and clearances you may have to drill and tap the frame. If you use metal self tap screws make sure you get high quality screws and take your time installing them. You do not want to break them off in your pilot holes.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
little chuck  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:30:52 AM(UTC)
little chuck

Thanks,

The hinge isn't really fastened to the frame - just sheet metal.

The thickness of the sheet metal is very thin. The hinge was just spot welded to the sheet metal. If I drill through this area, I will penetrate to the inside of the dishwasher, and if I install a bolt, it will interfere with the door closing. I will have to grind off the end of the bolt (small screw) so that the door can close. I may try this, but I think the material is not thick enough for a screw to bite into.

Thanks.
little chuck  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:21:11 PM(UTC)
little chuck

I think I will try some JB weld first. Thanks.
Cainac  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:13:57 PM(UTC)
Cainac

Count yourself lucky for getting two years out of it. I just received my GE profile dishwasher and fridge today after waiting almost 4 weeks for delivery.

Fridge installed fine but when I went over to install the dishwasher the door fell off when I opened it. The hinge on the left side broke off. on inspection of the problem I can see 6 tiny spot welds. Now normally I would assume a spot weld to be quite strong but they mounted this hinge bracket to the dishwasher tub and that is thiner than a soup can. More like a pop can. Now I am afraid of keeping the model at all. I will probably call them in the morning and tell them to get this thing out of my house. As For your problem and I gave this some thought myself to fix mine but damnit mine has not even been plugged in yet. The spot welds for the hinge are outside of the wet area of the dishwasher tub meaning that they are on the dry side of the rubber door seal. So if you drilled all of the spot welds out and used rivets to re-attach the bracket I think it would be stronger than new. A rivet gun is cheep from a local hardware store. If you mount the rivets from the inside to the outside the flanges of the rivets will hold the thin tin better than if applied from the outside in as the bracket for the hinge is a lot thicker and stronger than the tin. This way you will not need washers with the rivets. If needed the rivets can be ground down for clearance in the door hinge without wrecking them. I would apply some silicone to the rivets once installed to ensure no leaks and as longevity to the life of the rivets.
Chris Harper  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2012 9:05:08 AM(UTC)
Chris Harper

My GE Profile Dishwasher door hinge (PDW9900L00BB) just broke. It is on the right side as well. The weak welds broke off and the right side of the door is only being supported by the cable system. What did you end up doing to fix this? I'm pretty disappointed. This dishwasher was expensive.
vfrman  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:59:40 PM(UTC)
vfrman

Originally Posted by: Chris Harper Go to Quoted Post
My GE Profile Dishwasher door hinge (PDW9900L00BB) just broke. It is on the right side as well. The weak welds broke off and the right side of the door is only being supported by the cable system. What did you end up doing to fix this? I'm pretty disappointed. This dishwasher was expensive.

Old post, but I just saw this. Same deal with mine. I ended up drilling holes and riveting the hinge back on. Been going for well over a year now. Onr of those "Ugly but effective" fixes. :)
randomdiy  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 12:16:59 AM(UTC)
randomdiy

Hi, Same problem here (GE profile dishwasher left hinge broke off where it was spot welded).
What size rivet did you use?
Is it easy to drill holes in the sheet metal without clamps?

I was thinking of the exact same solution. A relatively newbie DIY in appliances.
vfrman  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 6:20:24 AM(UTC)
vfrman

Sorry, I can't remember but they weren't very big. They didn't need to be very long I know. Is there a clearance issue behind if too long? Can't remember. I'm not much help, but it should be pretty straightforward once you have the drill in hand. Good luck!
randomdiy  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 1:35:31 PM(UTC)
randomdiy

Originally Posted by: vfrman Go to Quoted Post
Sorry, I can't remember but they weren't very big. They didn't need to be very long I know. Is there a clearance issue behind if too long? Can't remember. I'm not much help, but it should be pretty straightforward once you have the drill in hand. Good luck!

fixed it. looks a little shoddy when you notice the pop rivets but does the job. thanks to this thread - saving the earth from more human created trash and poorly engineered products.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply