Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brian Mann  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 10:35:45 AM(UTC)
Brian Mann

Groups: Registered

Help! :) My Whirlpool Cooktop had water spilled into the knob area and now won't ignite.... It doesn't even click, I can light it with an external flame source. To be as specific as possible, when I turn the knob (on any of the 4 burners) to Lite, it doesn't do the expected, click click click click..... The oven works fine. It is a Whirpool GW395LEGB6. When the water got into the knob area apparently there was quite a spark and smoke, no bueno. I have not tried to recover an error code, but will likely try tonight.

Any assistance would be much appreciated!
Brian
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 12:00:22 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Brian Mann Go to Quoted Post
Help! :) My Whirlpool Cooktop had water spilled into the knob area and now won't ignite.... It doesn't even click, I can light it with an external flame source. To be as specific as possible, when I turn the knob (on any of the 4 burners) to Lite, it doesn't do the expected, click click click click..... The oven works fine. It is a Whirpool GW395LEGB6. When the water got into the knob area apparently there was quite a spark and smoke, no bueno. I have not tried to recover an error code, but will likely try tonight.

Any assistance would be much appreciated!
Brian

Brian,

You won't find any fail codes, the top burners won't generate a code,

Spilling water on the control panel, is Not a Good thing. Theres no telling what was damaged at this point. You'll have to access the valves, switches and wiring to see what shorted and burnt out.

This should help you to access and check the damage to the switches and wiring,

CAUTION: When you work on the range, be careful when handling the sheet metal parts.
Sharp edges may be present, and you can cut yourself if you are not careful.
1. Turn off the gas supply and electrical power to the range.
2. Remove the grates and burner caps.
3. Remove the knobs from the controls.
4. Unsnap the two clips at the inner control locations and lift the front edge of the control panel glass, then slide the top edge of the glass out of the control panel flange, and remove it.

To remove the control panel:

a) Remove the ten (10) screws (5 on each side), and the two side screws in the end caps, from the control panel.
b) Open the oven door and remove the three screws holding the bottom of the control panel to the range.
c) Remove the control panel from the range by pulling it forward and lifting it at the front.
d) To remove an end cap, remove the two mounting screws.

REMOVING A GAS VALVE, AN IGNITOR SWITCH,

& A BIMETAL SWITCH

2. Remove the control panel and rotate it back on top of the maintop so it is out of the way.
NOTE: You do not have to remove the electronic oven control from the panel.

NOTE: If one ignitor switch is defective, all of the switches must be replaced as an assembly.
3. To remove an ignitor switch:
a) Pull up firmly on the switch body, unsnap it from the mounting screw heads of the gas valve, and slide it off the valve stem.
b) When all of the switches are removed, unplug the connectors.

Besides any damaged parts in the control panel, you may want to consider a new "spark control module" it could have shorted as well ?

REMOVING THE SPARK MODULE & THE COOLING FAN
2. Pull the range out from the cabinet far enough to access the back panel.
3. Remove the left side panel from the range.

NOTE: The inset shows
installation of the left side panel, however,
the right side panel mounts to the range in
the same manner:
a) Remove the two screws from the rear
panel mounting tabs for the right side or left side
panel.
b) From the back, push the side panel forward as far as it will go and unhook it from the screw at the top front corner.
c) Pull the top away from the range several inches, then lift the panel free of

the retaining clips at the bottom.

Good Luck,
:) :) :)

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply