Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JaxAndy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:34:19 PM(UTC)
JaxAndy

Groups: Registered

General problem: My electric oven won’t get very hot.

The oven temperature stays in the 100-200 degree (Fahrenheit) range regardless of temperature set on the control panel (i.e. dial set to 425). Both the broil and bake element get warm, but far from hot. I can quickly touch each with my bare hands – they are fairly warm, but clearly below 200 degrees.

I assume it’s not the elements. I replaced the bake element in the past month as the electrical connectors were crumbling on the old one. Plus, the odds of both the bake and broil elements going bad at once are too small.

I checked the resistance of the sensor in the oven. It was in the 1,000-1,100 ohm range. From watching youtube self-help clips, this appears to be the proper range.

So I figure the only thing left is the control panel. I installed a new control panel, but the oven still won’t get very hot. I assume I wired it correctly – especially given that it yields the same result as the old panel.

The only idea I have is a power issue – i.e. low power. I doubt this is the case given the four plates (stove - also electric) on top of the oven (free standing model) heat very well, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would be very appreciative as I am completely out of ideas. Please let me know if I should provide any additional information.

Thank you,
Andy
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 8, 2011 2:08:08 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric JBP78WY5 Electric range | AppliancePartsPros.com

I was hoping that someone else would jump in with an easy fix but that did not happen so I will put in my two cents.
Note: I do not have any tech info on this unit.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]The only idea I have is a power issue – i.e. low power. I doubt this is the case given the four plates (stove - also electric) on top of the oven (free standing model) heat very well, but I could be wrong.[/COLOR]
I agree with you if the stove top works OK then the unit is getting the correct voltage.

Since both elements seem to be working but just do not get hot enough this is a very weird problem.
Your oven sensor seems OK. Does the oven come ready or stay in preheat?

If it comes ready then there is a problem with the control board or the sensor.

If it stays in preheat then it is still trying to reach set point temperature.
I would remove the back and check the voltage across the bake and broil element when it is trying to heat. It should be 240 volts.
[COLOR="Red"]Be very careful as 240 volts is lethal!!![/COLOR]
Also always have the unit unplugged when working on it re: removing covers etc.. Even with the oven turned off there is often voltage on one side of the elements.

If it is lower then it could be the control board.
This is a bit of a guess as I cannot see the back of the control board.
Many units have 3 relays (square black boxes on the control board).
One for bake, one for broil and one DLB which can effect both elements. Perhaps if it has a DLB the contacts are badly pitted and it is reducing the voltage going to the elements.

Here is a good link on basic stove repair which may be useful.
http://www.applianceaid.com/erange.html
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply