Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cojay  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2011 6:38:17 PM(UTC)
cojay

Groups: Registered

my dryer wont start. i recently changed the timer shaft and knob and it worked perfectly fine. until today my wife did about four loads of laundry and by the fourth time she tried to start it it wouldnt turn on. theres power going to it because the light is on in the dryer. i orederd a starter swicth. do you think thats the problem how else can i tell i have a multimeter but im not sure how to check the switch. anyone please help me i cant afford a new dryer yet.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:24:58 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Well, see what the new starter switch does, but it is more likely that a thermal protection device has failed or the door switch has malfunctioned.

See the post at the top of this page for how to check continuity (basically you are looking for some ohms when the switch is closed).

You will need to remove the front and drum. Inside the door jam are screws which hold the top on, take them out, then take off the top and the front.
cojay  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:41:05 AM(UTC)
cojay

thanks for the response. i changed the start switch
and that was one problem taken care of. now the dryer runs till it gets hot and shuts off. what do you think it is. and how hard is it to fix?

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
Well, see what the new starter switch does, but it is more likely that a thermal protection device has failed or the door switch has malfunctioned.

See the post at the top of this page for how to check continuity (basically you are looking for some ohms when the switch is closed).

You will need to remove the front and drum. Inside the door jam are screws which hold the top on, take them out, then take off the top and the front.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2011 10:06:32 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

This is the sign of a failing motor. However, it may be just a lot of lint buildup which is causing the dyrer motor to overheat.

You need to take it apart and clean it out, particularly the air chute passages from the inside to the outside.

If that does not help you are probably looking at a new motor.
cojay  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2011 5:33:14 PM(UTC)
cojay

i was afraid of that. i was hoping for a thermostat or resistor of some sort. but thank you ill try cleaning it out and see where that leaves me. is the motor easy to replace. and do you think its worth fixing or just get a new one?

This is the sign of a failing motor. However, it may be just a lot of lint buildup which is causing the dyrer motor to overheat.

You need to take it apart and clean it out, particularly the air chute passages from the inside to the outside.

If that does not help you are probably looking at a new motor.
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2011 5:54:12 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

It's pretty much a push on whether or not to fix this machine if it needs a new motor. The new motor is about $100.00 from this site, and it is not difficult to put it in, and if you buy from this site and the motor does not fix the problem you can return it, so the risk of trying to fix it is not great.

On the other hand, a new basic dryer which costs more will come with a 1 year guarantee and should give you trouble free service for a long time.

Pretty much how you feel about fixing things.
cojay  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:17:28 PM(UTC)
cojay

i appreciate your knowledge i tried cleaning it out but there wasnt that much lint so its probably the motor. i took the top off im just unsure how to get to the motor. how do you reccomend me accessing the motor?

It's pretty much a push on whether or not to fix this machine if it needs a new motor. The new motor is about $100.00 from this site, and it is not difficult to put it in, and if you buy from this site and the motor does not fix the problem you can return it, so the risk of trying to fix it is not great.

On the other hand, a new basic dryer which costs more will come with a 1 year guarantee and should give you trouble free service for a long time.

Pretty much how you feel about fixing things.
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:40:45 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

With the top off you can then take out the two screws that hold the front on. Disconnect the lid switch and light wiring, noting how to put it back together and the front will come lift off. You can now release the belt and take out the drum. This will give you a clear access to the motor and you can see if too much debris is making it overload.
Donn1  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:54:57 AM(UTC)
Donn1

I have a GE Dryer that is 14 months old, when i try to start it. It make a noise like its going to start but it don't
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply