Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wuzzup  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 10:12:41 AM(UTC)
wuzzup

Groups: Registered

Hi, My GE Dishwasher just humms but won't cycle to wash. There's no water flow. Turning the knob will release detergent.

Can you tell me which parts may need replacement?

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 6:32:45 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Most likely the problem is a stock seals inside the pump.

You can try to fix it by installing the new impeller and seal kit or just replace the whole pump and motor assembly. In both scenarios the dishwasher has to be removed from the cabinet. Both parts included the installation instructions. The new pump and motor assembly comes with the new redesigned motor which is much more quite than the old one.

- The impeller and seal kit Part number: WD19X10032
Part number: WD19X10032

- The pump and motor assembly Part number: AP2616850
Part number: AP2616850

Gene.
wuzzup  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:46:57 AM(UTC)
wuzzup

Thank you Gene for this advice.

This was my guess, too, but when there was no water flow, whatsoever, I was hesitant to pull the trigger on the purchase.

The new pump and motor assembly sounds like the way to go...

I appreciate this forum; it helps people save money but, more importantly, it prevents homeowners from being abused by disreputable contractors.

This economy is causing many home service people (plumbers, drain rooting, electrical, appliance repair) to make very poor decisions and I feel bad, particular for seniors, who don't have the ability to go online and find solutions to their repair problems.

Hence, they get ripped off...bad!

Forums like these are great resources, even if you decide not to repair yourself.

I will post results of the repair for others who may have the same problem.

Thanks again, Gene!
applianceman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:23:05 AM(UTC)
applianceman

Just in case you need it there are instructions on how to install this seal kit on this page GE Dishwasher Pump Leaking Repair Guide

Scroll down to the part about pump seal.
wuzzup  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:12:54 AM(UTC)
wuzzup

Wow! That was exactly what I was looking for!

Thank you, applianceman, for this valuable piece of information.

Awesome site for home appliance repair...
wuzzup  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 6:03:39 AM(UTC)
wuzzup

The DIY dishwasher repair was successful! :D

Thank you Gene and applianceman for your advice. It was dead-on! :)

Here's how it went for those who need to replace an AP2616850
(Replacement GE Pump & Motor Assembly)...

After turning off power to the washer at the panel...

1. Remove the lower panel and kick plate (4 screws).
2. Turn off water supply to DW under kitchen sink.
3. Follow the supply line to the inlet valve of the DW (brass/plastic part) and disconnect; have towel ready.
4. Locate electrical wire plate (under square black plastic cover/2 screws); disconnect both hot and neutral wires; save wire nuts. Unscrew ground wire to the plate.
5. Open DW door and remove mounting screws holding DW to the counter, above.

This should allow you to, now, remove the DW from under the counter. Take another look, below, to make sure you have not missed anything and if the DW does not slide easily out, you might want to raise the two front leveling legs a bit. Be gentle and wiggle free the DW.

Remove everything inside the DW (including lower rack), then tip the DW on it's back to allow easy access to the pump-motor assembly.

Don't be alarmed if the old motor looks nothing like the new one. This universal motor was designed to replace 8 or 9 different GE models throughout the last 20-30 years. Just find the installation diagram that's for your model and follow all instructions.

The instructions are easy to follow from this point...simply disconnect the power connect and pump solenoid connect. Release ground wire. Loosen the old wire clamps for the pump and drain outlets. Wiggle the old unit free. Slap the new unit in.

Note: I had to cut a plastic tie holding the wiring harness in place to allow removal and replacement of the supplied mounting bracket. The replacement assembly even supplies a replacement plastic tie to re-strap the harness back in place. Everything is there; no scavenging for parts of any kind!

Second Note: There's an adapter kit (grey plastic reducer barb fitting) that connects the replacement pump to the drain hose going to the garbage disposal.

It might be a good idea to study that, well, so you can more easily connect up once the DW is repositioned back under the counter.

Some posts say "I did it in 1/2 hour"...

It took me 90 minutes. I wrote this post to help those with older GE Potscrubbers (mine was a "GSD580") because removing the DW from under the counter was never described and it took me some time to figure all that needed to be disconnected. It's dark, dusty, hard to see, and not that much space, down there, to work...

One last thing that was a bit confusing: If you look at youtube videos (I always do), there's not a single video showing how to replace a "GE" pump/motor assembly! I was shocked (and dissapointed)... :(

Contrary to what you might think, you do not have to remove or release any spray arms (and other nonsense) from inside the DW, etc...If you're looking to simply replace the GE P/M assembly, you can do so without messing or disassembling anything inside the DW.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Gene  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 12:51:11 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Just wanted to say thank you for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked. Your post was very illuminating and instructive.

Gene.
wuzzup  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 4, 2011 6:05:14 AM(UTC)
wuzzup

The homeowner follow-up is important for others with similar problems...

That way you can see if the advice resolved the problem (or maybe it was something else).

I hope my post may save your time in the future, Gene.

Thanks so much for your help! Much obliged!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply